Engine check light on brand new Cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Out fir a rip are ye bud

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 2500 Outdoorsman
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Hi guys,

New to the forum here and to Cummins.

Got my shiny new truck a couple of weeks back now and it's just hit 3,000km when the engine check light went on.

I let it idle for a minute or so after my last trip. When I restarted it the warning, light had cleared.

Should i be letting my truck idle more often after trips? I mostly do highway driving and have hauled a travel trailer around for 1/3 of the km's so far.

Thanks for any wisdom.

Fraser

Granite-1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new cummins, I'm certainly a little jealous :happy107: But I don't think that the CEL would have come on because you didn't let it idle, maybe next time it comes on stop by an autoparts store and have them scan for codes to see what it says

OP
OP
O

Out fir a rip are ye bud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new cummins, I'm certainly a little jealous :happy107: But I don't think that the CEL would have come on because you didn't let it idle, maybe next time it comes on stop by an autoparts store and have them scan for codes to see what it says
Thanks for the rapid response Granite-1500. Yeah I was a bit annoyed to say the least. If it hapens again I will be taking her in. Sorry for your jealousy but the truck is genius! [emoji2] 66316c95c648d8e522537aaeba901fb5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Idling to cool things down a bit is more a thing of the past with these new trucks.

Momentary glitches, which raise a CEL, aren't unknown with these new trucks as they first begin to be used.

If it comes on again, and stays on, then have your dealer read the code.

Good luck.

That's a beautiful truck.

OP
OP
O

Out fir a rip are ye bud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Idling to cool things down a bit is more a thing of the past with these new trucks.

Momentary glitches, which raise a CEL, aren't unknown with these new trucks as they first begin to be used.

If it comes on again, and stays on, then have your dealer read the code.

Good luck.

That's a beautiful truck.
Thanks maddog

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
An OBDII reader can be had for about $40. The code that triggered the CEL might still be in there. Some CEL will turn themselves out after so many ignition cycles but the code might still be there to read.

OP
OP
O

Out fir a rip are ye bud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins
An OBDII reader can be had for about $40. The code that triggered the CEL might still be in there. Some CEL will turn themselves out after so many ignition cycles but the code might still be there to read.
Thanks drittal. I will check out a local sore and pick one up. Any particular brand I should be buying or avoiding?