Engine feels like it misses in 4th, 5th and 6th gear and when it chugs like this, the tpms light comes on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cs279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm looking for some advice as to what may be causing my issue. I have a 2012 Ram 1500 CC Laramie Longhorn with a 5.7l Hemi. When the truck is in a higher gear like 4,5, or 6 and the rpms are low, it will feel like it is missing out until i get the rpms around 1700 or 1800. It smoothes out after reaching those rpm's. Here's the kicker. The low tire pressure light will come on while this missing out occurs and goes away once i reach the higher rpms. Please help!!!

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
First off, Welcome to the forum. :cheers:

How many miles on your truck?
Have the spark plugs & air filter been replaced?
How old is the battery? A worn battery can cause lots of weird gremlins even though your truck starts fine.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm looking for some advice as to what may be causing my issue. I have a 2012 Ram 1500 CC Laramie Longhorn with a 5.7l Hemi. When the truck is in a higher gear like 4,5, or 6 and the rpms are low, it will feel like it is missing out until i get the rpms around 1700 or 1800. It smoothes out after reaching those rpm's. Here's the kicker. The low tire pressure light will come on while this missing out occurs and goes away once i reach the higher rpms. Please help!!!
Are you sure thats the low tire light and not the engine light flashing?it will flash when a missfire occurs. It could possibly be mds kicking on and off put it in manual mode see if it goes away also have you scanned it for codes?

OP
OP
cs279

cs279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It looks like the tire pressure light to me (!) with what looks like tire treads on the bottom? The truck has 180k on it, no ticks, nearly no engine noise at all. Shifts well in all gears. I'm unsure of when the spark plugs or air filter was changed last. The battery does appear to be old. I did try driving it in tow/haul mode and there didn't seem to be any shuddering.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It looks like the tire pressure light to me (!) with what looks like tire treads on the bottom? The truck has 180k on it, no ticks, nearly no engine noise at all. Shifts well in all gears. I'm unsure of when the spark plugs or air filter was changed last. The battery does appear to be old. I did try driving it in tow/haul mode and there didn't seem to be any shuddering.
I would start with doing a full tune up including fluids as well. Im at 160k and not one issue at all.

OP
OP
cs279

cs279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all of the information! I'll do an oil and filter change, air filter change. I'll also replace the spark plugs and wires. Does anyone know if the transmission fluid and filter can be changed easily at home? If so, what is the best type to use for my truck? I'll also replace the engine coolant because I don't know when it was last changed.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Use OEM plugs not some aftermarket crap, I believe yours will be copper. Your truck has 16 spark plugs. No plug wires they are COP's (coil over plugs) you may or may not have a bad one too and I would pay attention to the boots on them to see if they are cracked or torn. If it were me I would just buy a set boots and replace them while you are in there but that is up to you.

You can do a trans pan drop and filter change at home but it will be messy. You won't get all the old fluid. There are threads on here that will show you how and what fluid to use on the 6 speed.

I would first have your battery load tested to see it it is any good and check the charging system.