2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L shifts early and doesn’t like to downshift or have throttle response when trying to pass someone or make it up a hill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KyleCross1468

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.2L it seems to change gears fine except it doesnt like to go up higher rpms even if pushed ab 1/2 3/4 throttle in the higher gears. The speedometer is off and it has a ABS light and Brake light on on the dash. I have replaced the wheel speed sensor on the rear diff and I made sure tranny was full. Also when cruising about 50-55 and you go to step on it to pass someone or getting up a hill it doesn’t seem to want to downshift and it’s almost as if the truck has no throttle response or it just likes to stay in overdrive and lug it’s way until it levels out then goes back to speed It revs fine in neutral it shifts through all gears but seems to lack in power when calling for it at higher speeds. Was thinking maybe TPS sensor or output shaft sensor but I’m at a loss there’s no Check Engine Lights on either. If anyone has any helpful information hit would be greatly appreciated.

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check the cable that goes to the transmission from the throttle body. It’s there to make it downshift when you accelerate hard. It may have become disconnected or loose for some reason.