ENGINE SWAP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roadwanderer2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ltr hemi
here's an idea i was thinking about. Putting a Dodge Hellcat engine into my 2003 Ram 1500 quad cab 8' bed.

Anyone have any thoughts, ideas or comments as to how it would run and what modifications would need to be done to do the swap as far as transmission, computer, frame and suspension upgrades.

Just a thought I've been thinking about.

Stuart, a.k.a. roadwanderer2.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
here's an idea i was thinking about. Putting a Dodge Hellcat engine into my 2003 Ram 1500 quad cab 8' bed.

Anyone have any thoughts, ideas or comments as to how it would run and what modifications would need to be done to do the swap as far as transmission, computer, frame and suspension upgrades.

Just a thought I've been thinking about.

Stuart, a.k.a. roadwanderer2.

After the long belly laugh I had upon reading this (I can't count how many times I've seen a post like this across multiple forums) lol...it will physically bolt to the cradle. That's where the easy part ends. RFE isn't even an option. 8HP90 will not run with a PCI bus based system. Your 03 ECM will definitely NOT run that engine lol. I know newer CAN bus components have been swapped into older CAN bus vehicles, however it is not likely it will integrate properly into your truck; it is actually easier to install a running hellcat into an old car, say a 68 Charger than it is to integrate it properly into an older computerized vehicle. The stock 9.25 rear won't handle 650 ft/lbs, so you'd need an upgrade there as well. You would have an easier (and cheaper) time converting to an 05 PCM, doing a 4L80E swap, building a stroker and supercharging it.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Go for it

You can polish a ****, just don’t pretend you have anything more then a shiny ****.
I bleed Ram Trucks

OP
OP
R

roadwanderer2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ltr hemi
I never said it would be easy or cheap, but it was just a thought. I have thought about bolting in a turbo or a supercharger, but as im sure they would also be an expensive way to go too.

Stuart.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
you're looking at $15K for the engine if you can find a dealer that has one in stock, close to $3K for the engine harness and front drive parts, $6K into a built 4L80e or Tremec. None of your factory gauges will work, so figure another 1K into autometers or 2-3K for a digital dash. Driveshaft will need to be swapped to an aftermarket one to handle the torque, and your rear end will need to be converted to a built 9" or 8.8". Figure close to 30K by the time youre done; and youre sticking it in a 03 Long Bed...