engine swaps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike3v0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Powertech 3.7
I just got my ram over the weekend, its has the 3.7L v6 in it and i was wondering if anyone had any information on doing a 392 swap as far as price and what all would actually need to be replaced to handle the higher power output. I'm not trying to make a huge amount of power but it would be fun to be able to hang with my friends mustang the strip.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Swaps are expensive and take a lot of work. Do you intend to do all the work yourself? When you modify a vehicle you place yourself in the position of having to do all the maintenance and repairs yourself. I would recommend working on your new truck for a while making it yours and when you are comfortable with the electrical and mechanics of it buy a donor truck and go for it.

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Don't want to put you or the idea down, but when you factor in how much time and money you'd spend doing it, you'd have been better off trading for a Hemi ram and modding it.

You'd need the engine, a trans, wiring, all computers and modules, sensors, lines, coolers, have to move motor and trans mounts... you'd essentially be building a new truck.

OP
OP
Mike3v0

Mike3v0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Powertech 3.7
I would have to save up to buy the parts first anyways, and usually I do all my own maintenance.
There are a lot of cheaper things I want to do first I just didn't know if anyone had swapped a 392 into a ram before, and if they had what all they had to replace so they didn't break anything.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
It's been done only by the truly dedicated truck lovers and the amount of money it costs is crazy. Just look at the forum and you'll see a few outstanding trucks that are money pits. But it's not about the money, if you are counting your dollars then you are in the wrong hobby. :)