ENRAGED! EcoDiesel Delays AGAIN

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rewindgy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure where the "order Dec 20th " comes from - I was at Dealer in Dec and again last weekend- they are not taking orders until Feb with deliveries starting late April. The spec trucks are due early March. Checked at 3 differnet dealers over phone. Also, you cannot build a Ram Ecodiesel on the Canadain website as of this morning! Not triying to stir anything up but - buck it up Princess and wait like everyone else on the planet!

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The first reader comment on that article…………….

J-L is on to something. 28 mpg sounds good and we can assume that's on the hwy w/8 speed in a 2wd. Current Winter Diesel price $1.20 higher than regular gas (you wouldn't dare run anything else with these Subzero temps). Fuel Economy will drop significantly with the #1 fuel blend.
15K a year would be 681.81 Gallons in a Hemi w/8 Speed (epa 22 Hwy) and 535.71 Gallons for a 28 mpg 3.0L Diesel. $1.20 spread right now in many places makes for $178 a year extra for the Diesel. At $.87 cents it's breakeven. I usually see a $.70 spread.
That would be $91 a year in savings and a 31 PLUS year payback. Like the other Specs. Seems very similar to the 3.0L MB engines which do a great job of pulling, but unless the Feds somehow back off on the refining requirements on Diesel, it will be another great engine that will get left in the dust bin of history.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
TBD EcoDiesel
For those interested (not to debate) but just providing info...

Not sure where the "order Dec 20th " comes from - I was at Dealer in Dec and again last weekend- they are not taking orders until Feb with deliveries starting late April. The spec trucks are due early March. Checked at 3 differnet dealers over phone. Also, you cannot build a Ram Ecodiesel on the Canadain website as of this morning! Not triying to stir anything up but - buck it up Princess and wait like everyone else on the planet!

Here is some good info (while not verified) from another forum:

"From what I've heard, the issue with the diesel delays now may be related to weight issues. The diesel engine weighs more than the Hemi, and the engineers found that if the weight of the finished truck exceeds that of the already-approved Hemi models, the diesel versions will have to go through testing as a new model. (That was almost a run-on sentence, but I hope you get the idea.)

So, they are frantically (as I'm told) reconfiguring packages that can be ordered with the diesel, and still keep it within acceptable weight limits. I would suspect that may mean no ramboxes, and other packages that bring a lot of weight to the vehicle. Whether it means no air suspension might be a toss-up.

Either way, it's not good news for Ram, I think. The diesel was going to be a high profit generator, and there's no better way to maximize profit than loading a vehicle up with options. Plus, the "I gotta have the trendiest thing" buyer may not go for the diesel if he/she can't load it up with goodies.

I emphasize: this is based on very raw G-2 and may or may not be valid. It does sound legit to me, though."

The above goes hand in hand with some Canadian customers being told they couldn't order Ramboxes on the EcoDiesel as well as them now pulling Canadian ordering. But as noted above, at least one EcoDiesel has been ordered and accepted at the factory.

Last edited by a moderator:

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Kinda makes me wonder about the suspension in general. I know that the diesel engines weigh more, but how much more? If they are worried about that much increased weight, I'm almost thinking that they might need to redesign the suspension for 2015.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Kinda makes me wonder about the suspension in general. I know that the diesel engines weigh more, but how much more? If they are worried about that much increased weight, I'm almost thinking that they might need to redesign the suspension for 2015.

I don't believe the suspension can't handle the weight. I believe the total weight effects how it is classified as a light duty truck and the emissions specifications it has to meet

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know about the weight being a problem. Allpar lists the VM 3.0 as having a dressed weight (with options) as 507 lbs and an undressed weight as 485 lbs.
The present Eagle Hemi has an undressed weight of (Allpar) 485 lbs, so I will go out on a limb and say dressed weight would be 507lbs. Everything I have read said the weight is very close to one another.

It may be the emissions for the diesel may add more but, it can't be that much more.

Last edited:

beavermosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram Big Horn 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7L 390HP
I have a Master's degree in business and to see such a marketing blunder by a corporation of this size makes me sick. Here I am a consumer trying and willing to give you my money and you tell me no. The beef is the fact that they have pushed the EcoDiesel even though it is not ready. Had they not marketed the product and layed low until it could ACTUALLY be released I wouldn't have had an issue but when you are pushing a "truck of the year" down consumers throats when they can't even purchase this mythcal vehicle it's just too much.

Typical business major... engineers do the work and others reap the benefits.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't believe the suspension can't handle the weight. I believe the total weight effects how it is classified as a light duty truck and the emissions specifications it has to meet

This. When I was shopping for my truck in December, a Ford dealer told me something interesting. Maybe only relevant here in NY. He said if he sold me an F-250, they would either have to sell it to me with a cap or register it with commercial plates because of the weight rating.

He also said that they were careful how they spec'd the F-150's they sold because it was possible that the same thing would affect them in certain configurations.

Chevy and Ram dealers never mentioned that to me.

Perhaps there is a weight cutoff that also affects how they get exported.

It wouldn't surprise me.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This. When I was shopping for my truck in December, a Ford dealer told me something interesting. Maybe only relevant here in NY. He said if he sold me an F-250, they would either have to sell it to me with a cap or register it with commercial plates because of the weight rating.

He also said that they were careful how they spec'd the F-150's they sold because it was possible that the same thing would affect them in certain configurations.

Chevy and Ram dealers never mentioned that to me.

Perhaps there is a weight cutoff that also affects how they get exported.

It wouldn't surprise me.

That may be true but the gvwr of my ram is 6800 lbs and that is the heaviest 1500 they make (cc 6'4" bed hemi 4x4). The gvwr of a F150 is 7200 for a supercab 4x4 6.5' bed with the Ecoboost. The biggest gvwr for the f150 is 8200 lbs.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
TBD EcoDiesel
I don't know about the weight being a problem. Allpar lists the VM 3.0 as having a dressed weight (with options) as 507 lbs and an undressed weight as 485 lbs.
The present Eagle Hemi has an undressed weight of (Allpar) 485 lbs, so I will go out on a limb and say dressed weight would be 507lbs. Everything I have read said the weight is very close to one another.

It may be the emissions for the diesel may add more but, it can't be that much more.

Yup this is what I have read / understand. It is supposed to be within ~50 lbs of each other.

Maybe we can turn this into a constructive thread after all lol

So at least in my opinion, here are some good thoughts I read in another thread:

"RAM/Chrysler will have achieved a massive fail if they are not able to open the ordering banks for the diesel RAM 1500 in January. Remember what happens in mid-January - the Detroit Auto Show, where Ford is expected to unveil the long-awaited 2015 F-150. A radically new F-150, with increased MPG figures and updated features, will suck the air out of the 1500 diesel roll-out.

I am under the impression the diesel has to be in production in January in order to have the 2014 Truck of the Year award. Right?

GM, in my opinion, had a corporate fail with the 2014 Sierra/Silverado upgrade. I would have bought one, but the lack of an 8/10-speed transmission made me reconsider. I expect they will include it in 2015, but again, if I'm going to wait until the 2015s come out, I have to take a hard look at the Ford.

Let's admit it: for pickup sales, the F-150 is the elephant in the room. 2014, for both RAM and GM, was an opportunity year. The F-150 is aging and everyone is waiting for the 2015. The improving economy (for some) has caused truck/auto sales to improve. So, RAM and GM could have sold lots of trucks to people who otherwise might have bought an F-150 and, given that we tend to be fiercely loyal to our pickup brand, could have grown market share. RAM already has a great truck in the 1500, and the diesel introduced early in the model year would have generated amazing excitement.

Now, though, the new F-150 is on the horizon. If Ford does not disappoint with the 2015, they are likely to maintain or even increase their share of the market."

Because I am shopping around, these points make sense. With a new re-design shortly approaching it would make no sense to go get a '13/'14 F150 just for it to be "obselete" in ~8 months. My main dislike with the GM product is without question the drivetrain with regards to the transmission and axle configurations (or lack there of).

Last edited:

ramsport27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup this is what I have read / understand. It is supposed to be within ~50 lbs of each other.

Maybe we can turn this into a constructive thread after all lol

When you don't act like a child, these things happen.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally, right now ram is doing everything right with their trucks. I don't see any failures at this time. They won truck of the year back to back for a reason...even after a GM update to their trucks. Whats impressive is that they are getting these awards with a truck so late in the 4th gen truck which is impressive. By now you would thing that the truck is getting old but its only getting better.
So as of right now ram has the best trucks. Ford is coming out with their update and if its anything close to the atlas, its gonna be nice.

Ram is close to bring done with the 4th gen series that within the next year or 2 that's when they will have their 5th gen truck. By then, the eco disesel should be all ironed out and that's probly when I might think about getting it. Right now, I'm just wait and see how it pans out with the new engine. The engine is going to be fine... I'm curious to see how the truck suspension will handle with the increased weight.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would imagine it comes down to what they can offer with State and Federal DOT regulations and what this "half ton" truck can potentially haul. As soon as a light duty pickup gets past a magical number and lets say its 10k lbs at total gross weight it has to be registered as a different class of vehicle. Now I may be totally off on this but there are certainly more laws that come into effect when potentially heavier vehicles are rolling down the road.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
TBD EcoDiesel
Ford is coming out with their update and if its anything close to the atlas, its gonna be nice.

Two major points that stick out to me. The Atlas, WOW is all that can be said. Like usual concept vs reality can differ substantially. Would be a sweet truck though. I guess we might find out soon though with the Detroit Auto Show coming up.

Ford is coming out with their update and if its anything close to the atlas, its gonna be nice.

Ram is close to bring done with the 4th gen series that within the next year or 2 that's when they will have their 5th gen truck. By then, the eco disesel should be all ironed out and that's probly when I might think about getting it.

I think that would be the ULTIMATE, 5th Gen EcoDiesel. Obviously I'm way to impatient for that lol and need something in-between those times. It's just a matter of what is the best value now to offset the depreciation and or loss when the time does arrive for the 5th Gen Diesels.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Personally, right now ram is doing everything right with their trucks. I don't see any failures at this time. They won truck of the year back to back for a reason...even after a GM update to their trucks. Whats impressive is that they are getting these awards with a truck so late in the 4th gen truck which is impressive. By now you would thing that the truck is getting old but its only getting better.
So as of right now ram has the best trucks. Ford is coming out with their update and if its anything close to the atlas, its gonna be nice.

Ram is close to bring done with the 4th gen series that within the next year or 2 that's when they will have their 5th gen truck. By then, the eco disesel should be all ironed out and that's probly when I might think about getting it. Right now, I'm just wait and see how it pans out with the new engine. The engine is going to be fine... I'm curious to see how the truck suspension will handle with the increased weight.

The key is they won truck of the year because of the ecodiesel. Doubful that 50 pounds will make much of a difference suspension wise.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I would imagine it comes down to what they can offer with State and Federal DOT regulations and what this "half ton" truck can potentially haul. As soon as a light duty pickup gets past a magical number and lets say its 10k lbs at total gross weight it has to be registered as a different class of vehicle. Now I may be totally off on this but there are certainly more laws that come into effect when potentially heavier vehicles are rolling down the road.

Im sure there is a line but I believe it is to do with the gvwr. If for can market a truck that can weigh 8200 pounds as a half ton, ram should be able to get theres in the half ton catagory as well. The tow capacity of the diesel is lower than the hemi so that shouldn't make a difference.
The key will be Nissan with their Titan diesel. Seeing as they are putting a V8 diesel in they will be king of the half tons towing wise if they can buimd the truck around it. If a 3.0 V6 diesel can tow 9500 pounds imagine a 5.0 diesel.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
here is a good video review of the EcoDiesel by a reputable non-Ram biased person. It has a lot of good details in it. Long video, but worth the time when if you have it.

2014 RAM 1500 Eco Diesel Review and Road Test - YouTube

I watched that video a few weeks ago. He really seems to genuinely love that truck. That is what really got me interested in it to begin with since Ram hasn't released epa fuel economy figures yet.