EVAP leak and check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leonard12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So my truck threw a code. It's the 5.7 Hemi. Had it checked it says small evap leak and gas cap leak. and my gas cap warning keeps coming on when I start up the truck. every once in a while the check engine light goes out and I can tell that it has more power than with the check engine light on. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Oh and I already put a new gas cap on it.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
It may still be a bad gas cap. The trucks are very particular about it's gas caps. I would take the original gas cap and grease the rubber sealing lip and see if that makes a difference. Chrysler in the early years used plastic clamps on the evap hoses and they often broke along with the hoses splitting. Might slide under the truck and check the hoses and clamps. The truck uses a NVLD system and it would help you figure things out if you read up on it. It only takes a very small leak to mess things up. Good luck..