exhaust manifold gasket.. upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ttrue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I Bought my 08 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi a year ago. Was in rough shape mechanical I've replaced the water pump, Thermostat, radiator(guy had jb weld around everything) both top and bottom idler pulley, tensioner pulley assembly, Both front end wheel hubs, sway bar and links. Had a AEM brute force cold air intake installed half ass. I remounted it the correct way pretty much everything that has been neglected and still have more left to do. I bought this as a project truck to teach my 3 sons as well as myself how to properly care for and maintain a vehicle. Plus to have a little fun. Last week the muffler literally exploded. Sounded like a giant can of biscuits popping then just an insane metal rattling. I had a flowmaster super 40 so i just went ahead and put it in. Truck had a Y pipe from the muffler exit to duel exhaust. Cat looks to be the original. While I was at it I decided to check the whole system and noticed a slight tick I tracked to a bolt for the exhaust manifold. Spraying some soapy water I noticed passenger side had a pretty good leak, driver as well but nearly as bad. So I'm going to just replace gaskets,bolts, manifold, and heat shield if needed. getting to the meat of my question is it worth it to buy a performance header? If so what would you recommend?

31562048_1848673528531087_1174323413873871997_n.jpg

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Do you wanna go long tube or shorty? Do you plan to do anything else to it?

OP
OP
Ttrue

Ttrue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Short is what I'm leaning towards. I have no plans of doing anything else major currently.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I don't know that shorty's would be worth the hassle, though if you have emissions inspection it allows you to keep your cats in the stock location.

OhioGuy36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it is ticking then u have broken studs. If you strip them or they are broken below surface and you extract them wrong, you will need new heads. Not an easy job

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Ttrue

Ttrue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it is ticking then u have broken studs. If you strip them or they are broken below surface and you extract them wrong, you will need new heads. Not an easy job

Yeah, luckily it is a job I've done before on another truck. heat shields are in bad shape as well broken in a few spots where the bolts hold so it adds to the tick.

I don't know that shorty's would be worth the hassle, though if you have emissions inspection it allows you to keep your cats in the stock location.

No emissions test in my town. So is there a major difference in performance with short vrs long? I have been looking into tuners and still up in the air about getting one.

Most mechanical work I've always done myself since my first car. It was always just factory for factory. So this is my first time going for performance. Luckily I live I moved to a small town and a drag strip is literately a mile down the road so I can see first had a few options people do.

HemiLonestar I just found your post for service manuals DL. You are a god sir!

Last edited:

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
These Hemis react well to longtubes.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yeah, luckily it is a job I've done before on another truck. heat shields are in bad shape as well broken in a few spots where the bolts hold so it adds to the tick.

No emissions test in my town. So is there a major difference in performance with short vrs long? I have been looking into tuners and still up in the air about getting one.

Most mechanical work I've always done myself since my first car. It was always just factory for factory. So this is my first time going for performance. Luckily I live I moved to a small town and a drag strip is literately a mile down the road so I can see first had a few options people do.

HemiLonestar I just found your post for service manuals DL. You are a god sir!

Thanks, I wouldn't go that far lol but glad it helps. Don't forget to download your parts book as well.

These Hemis react well to longtubes.

Shorty good for easy of install and not having to swap cats/mid pipes, generally good for some torque. As he says^^, the long tubes give it across the board but you have to extensively modify the exhaust to accommodate. If you're gonna ditch the cats you may want to invest in a custom tune to turn off the rear O2 sensors so you're not riding around with a permanent CEL.

OhioGuy36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is best method for getting broken bolts out? I dont have a welder.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
If there is nothing to grab and you don't have a welder then the head needs to come off so you can reach the bolts or take to a machine shop to have them removed.

Goldenzrule

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just removed my passenger side exhaust manifold today. The two rear most bolts were both snapped. LUCKILY, just the head of the bolts were snapped. I sprayed a little PB Blaster, waiting ten minutes, then used some vice grips. They came right out without any effort.

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've yet to break a manifold bolt flush, always something left to grab after a little Kroil.

Amazon sales 02 adapters to fool the ECU , the cheap route so your not starring at 420 code.......high flow exhaust and extra cat, it's coming. Lol

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
I would say get performance headers is you have to replace anyway it was worth it to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk