Factory Alarm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We've seen an uptick in vehicle break ins and thefts in the area, much higher than previous months or even years. I have to park outdoors so I just "tested" my alarm by rolling the window down, shutting the doors, locking the truck with the key fob and manually unlocked the door from the outside with my hand. No alarm activation. Am I missing something here? Is my truck even equipped with an alarm. My build sheet says I have the keyless entry and sentry key theft deterrent system but nothing relating to an alarm..

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you have the vehicle theft deterrent system, there is a red led right by the speedometer needle that blinks when it sets. It is possible to enable the vehicle theft deterrent system with AlfaOBD.
It only responds to a door being open unless you add a shock sensor:
Megatronix UPS Add-On Shock Sensor To Factory OEM Car Alarm Security Systems https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VHG3BA/

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So my dash is set up a bit differently, the red security light is just under the "N" for the neutral indicator on my dash. The owner's manual says it will blink rapidly for 15 seconds when it is arming, and at a slower speed after it's armed (it does neither). However, the manual says the light will come on for three seconds just before turning the vehicle on (my truck only does this one).

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I should have by more specific that LED location is on the 7" EVIC dash. It's a bit strange that the light would blink any different as mine is a '15. The LED starts to blink a couple of minutes after locking and closing the doors. I don't think it turns during the dash light test upon starting the vehicle.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Did you have the key fob in your pocket when you did this?

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you have the key fob in your pocket when you did this?

I stood outside the truck (within a few feet) and locked it with the fob, reached in and manually unlocked the door from the outside. Also, I haven't ever noticed that red light blinking before. Could it be because the truck is a lower trim level, it just isn't equipped with it? It would seem kind of strange to sell a $40k+ vehicle without an alarm though...?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What option level do you have?

If you have a proximity fob system it knows not to set off the alarm when the key is close.

I'm not sure but I think that's a Laramie option but I may be wrong.

You can always unlock the truck, get in, close the door, hit the lock button and watch for the red light.

Another test you could try is to lock the truck with the window down, put the fob in the house, then go back out and try to open it up.

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the express/tradesman model, I will give those options a shot

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have remote start?

If you leave hood open will it tell you hood ajar?

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have remote start?

If you leave hood open will it tell you hood ajar?

No remote start or sensor for the hood. Can't seem to find anything on youtube either. I wonder how much it would be to get a factory remote start and alarm. I asked the dealer a while back just about the remote start and I know it was like $400 alone. I'll probably only have the truck for another 3 years or so, so it may not even be worth that type of investment.

Last edited:

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No remote start or sensor for the hood. Can't seem to find anything on youtube either. I wonder how much it would be to get a factory remote start and alarm. I asked the dealer a while back just about the remote start and I know it was like $400 alone. I'll probably only have the truck for another 3 years or so, so it may not even be worth that type of investment.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong......but to my knowledge without those items you won’t be able to activate the alarm

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I am having the same issue with my 2015 SLT ! I wills check with my dealer in a few weeks, when I drop my RAM off for a oil change !
I contacted RAM Care a year of so ago and was told Yes it is supposed to work! I got busy and forgot about it ! They will open a STAR case !
The a few months ago I contacted RAM Care and the lady said no it is not on my SLT :O Both had my VIV :O And with car break ins more common now,plus I go out of state more I would also like it even though it is a basic alarm ! SO Will see what happens lol
So good thread and interested to hear what the OP finds !
If I get any info I will update my results !

Got this info from somebody on the forum

The alarm is called a
VTA Vehicle Theft Alarm
Sales Codes may be LSA or LSB

http://www.rpocodes.com/Chrysler-option-codes/Chrysler_Option_Codes- G to M.html

http://starparts.chrysler.com/starlibrary/reference_docs/salescode.pdf

OP
OP
02Steve15

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll have to ask the dealer next time I go. If it doesn't have one then screw it.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I'll have to ask the dealer next time I go. If it doesn't have one then screw it.
I would print off the code sheet and bring it to dealer, And circle the Sales code #s that is what I will do And Please update us on what they say as I will when I go to my dealer THANKS

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ALARM INFO: NOTE VERY LAST 2 Line Entry: I have a Bighorn with: Big Horn non-BSG Lvl 2 Equip. Group

Not a real high end option group.. Not sure if below help or not. But posting from manual FYI.

VEHICLE SECURITY ALARM
The vehicle security alarm monitors the vehicle doors, tailgate, and ignition for unauthorized operation. When the vehicle security alarm is activated, interior switches for door
locks are disabled. The system will turn the horn off after 29 seconds, 5 seconds between cycles, up to 8 cycles if the trigger remains active and then the vehicle security alarm
will rearm itself.
To Arm The System
Follow these steps to arm the vehicle security alarm:
1. Remove the key from the ignition system (refer to
"Starting The Engine" in "Starting And Operating" for
further information).
• Make sure the vehicle ignition system is "OFF."
2. Perform one of the following methods to lock the vehicle:
• Push lock button on the interior power door lock switch
with the driver and/or passenger door open.
• Push the lock button on the exterior Passive Entry Door
Handle with a valid key fob available in the same exterior
zone (refer to "Keyless Enter- N-Go — Passive
Entry" in "Getting To Know Your Vehicle" for further
information).
• Push the lock button on the key fob.
3. If any doors are open, close them.
The vehicle security alarm will set when you use the power
door locks, or use the key fob to lock the doors. After all the
doors are locked and closed, the vehicle security light, in the
instrument panel cluster, will flash rapidly for about 16
seconds to indicate that the alarm is being set. After the
alarm is set, the vehicle security light will flash at a slower
rate to indicate that the system is armed.
To Disarm The System
The vehicle security alarm can be disarmed using any of the
following methods:
1. Push the unlock button on the key fob.
2. Grasp the Passive Entry Unlock Door Handle with a valid
key fob within 5 ft (1.5 m) of the passive entry door
handle. If equipped, refer to "Keyless Enter-N-Go —
Passive Entry" in "Getting To Know Your Vehicle" for
further information.
3. Place the ignition out of the “OFF” position. The vehicle security alarm is designed to protect your vehicle. However, you can create conditions where the
system will give you a false alarm. If one of the previously described arming sequences has occurred, the vehicle security alarm will arm regardless of whether you are in the
vehicle or not. If you remain in the vehicle and open a door, the alarm will sound. If this occurs, disarm the vehicle security alarm.
If the vehicle security alarm is armed and the battery becomes disconnected, the vehicle security alarm will remain armed when the battery is reconnected; the exterior
lights will flash, and the horn will sound. If this occurs, disarm the vehicle security alarm.
Rearming Of The System
If something triggers the alarm, and no action is taken to disarm it, the vehicle security alarm will turn the horn off after 29 seconds, 5 seconds between cycles, up to 8 cycles if
the trigger remains active and then the vehicle security alarm will rearm itself.

Security System Manual Override
The vehicle security alarm will not arm/disarm if you lock/ unlock the doors using the manual door lock plunger.

Amoinor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the express/tradesman model, I will give those options a shot
The alarm is not offered in the Tradesman and Express trims. All 2014 and up are equipped with it, it's just not activated. Just petty little things to get more of your money. It can be activated using Alfaobd and very simple to do, along with a ton of other features.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Express/Tradesman were not offered with the theft alarm. The theft deterrent system simply means the vehicle can't be started by hot wiring the truck. There is no audible alarm. You need to set the VTA (vehicle theft alarm) system in your BCM. You would need the Alfa tool to do this. The dealer cannot enable this code in your truck because it's not offered in your trim level. Many people including myself have turned on the VTA systems in our trucks. The procedure is outlined in the first post of the Alfa OBD thread under (known working codes)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
So my 2015 should be able to be activated by the dealer ? One RAM care guy said yes , and would open a Star case ! I got busy and forgot all about it ! A few months ago I contacted RAM Care and the lady said no :O I DO NOT have the OBD 2 and not worth the cost to buy just to activate the alarm ! Too bad there is not anyone near me in Main that could do it !
If I remember right when I first got my RAM used in 2016 it worked and never re tested till a year or so ago ! I have printed instructions that I would show my dealer to help save the BS no such thing or that's normal lol

THANKS