Factory sub wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tk1292

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
I recently upgraded my interior from a tradesman to a Laramie and when I had the carpet out I saw there was a factory wire for a subwoofer so naturally I grabbed one in the junk yard yesterday, I got it plugged in and there nothing coming out, wondering if it at a dead end or I need to look further into this. Thank you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 18

brunzca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (non-Etorque)
I’d imagine unless you have the Alpine or HK amplified system, there’s no signal being sent to the sub, or definitely not enough to push it

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The subwoofer is powered from the amplifier in the 9 speaker Alpine sound system. If your truck came with the standard 6 speaker system, there is no amplifier.
You would be further ahead to go with an aftermarket subwoofer like the Kicker Hideaway and possibly upgrade the radio to something aftermarket with wireless AndroidAuto/CarPlay built in.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
You want a sub the easiest way on a non factory sub truck is get a speaker signal to rca adapter (loc-2) and either run that into your amp or run it into a pre amp for more adjustability then from there to your actual amp. My truck came with a factory amp and I did the loc-2 rca off the sub feed then into two pre amps and then to my amps. It sounds deadly!

OP
OP
T

Tk1292

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
The subwoofer is powered from the amplifier in the 9 speaker Alpine sound system. If your truck came with the standard 6 speaker system, there is no amplifier.
You would be further ahead to go with an aftermarket subwoofer like the Kicker Hideaway and possibly upgrade the radio to something aftermarket with wireless AndroidAuto/CarPlay built in.
There’s a fuse already in my fuse box for amplifier, can I just add the amp in from the junk yard ? Or do I need to pull the whole dash harness and swap them ?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Or do I need to pull the whole dash harness and swap them ?
The wiring for the Alpine system is entirely different, there's multiple dash speakers, and in the headliner.
It's a lot of work for not a huge improvement in sound. Money and time would be better spent on better aftermarket speakers (and subwoofer if you want one).

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
^^^ All This!!!

Aftermarket is the way to go!

I've got a pair of Audiomobile EVO 2410 (10") subs running at 2-ohm under my back seat bench in custom boxes that are also stuffed with poly-fil.

I have 2100W of total power being spread across these two subs and six Focal speakers (doors front & rear, and dash), and being filtered through a 5-farad DB digital power capacitor, and run off a Kenwood Excelon Reference head unit.

I also have an Odyssey H8 AGM battery, too.

brunzca

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (non-Etorque)
What everyone else said. Invest your time and money in aftermarket gear. I’ve got a helix V8 DSP/Amp pushing Karma mids in the dash, SB Acoustics tweets and SI TM65 Midbass in the front doors, and the rear headliners. + a Sundown SIA-1750 for 2 Dayton HO 10” subs in a ported box.

OP
OP
T

Tk1292

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
^^^ All This!!!

Aftermarket is the way to go!

I've got a pair of Audiomobile EVO 2410 (10") subs running at 2-ohm under my back seat bench in custom boxes that are also stuffed with poly-fil.

I have 2100W of total power being spread across these two subs and six Focal speakers (doors front & rear, and dash), and being filtered through a 5-farad DB digital power capacitor, and run off a Kenwood Excelon Reference head unit.

I also have an Odyssey H8 AGM battery, too.
How do you add the amp power to the door and dash speakers?

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
How do you add the amp power to the door and dash speakers?
Through the wiring of the amp(s) via the head unit and its associated RCA's and harness connectors.

You're going to need the iDatalink Maestro interface module for everything to work as it should because of the CanBus systems our vehicle have.

I recommend you link up with Crutchfield for a complete end-to-end set up that will provide you with everything you need for a seamless installation experience.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat