Fake Bighorn ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D_Scuzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello. New member here. I have questions about my 2006 Ram 1500 Bighorn. My son wrecked my truck and as the body shop was repairing it they told me they checked the VIN and it isn’t a Bighorn. Is it possible someone put really good fake Bighorn emblems on the truck then sold it to me? How do I find out?

Thank you.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to the forum!

I think they are just splitting hairs. A bighorn is an SLT going back to older trim names. An SLT+ is a laramie now from my understanding.

Some sites I have looked up my VIN list my truck as an SLT still and it's clearly a bighorn. It says it on the dash and I bought it pretty much new, bone stock, 6k miles on it.

Any particular reason you are concerned about it? Sorry your son wrecked it too!

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What he said, the Big Horn is just a package upgrade from the SLT. Not a stand alone model.
My Outdoorsman says the same thing and it was a step up package from the Big Horn.

OP
OP
D_Scuzz

D_Scuzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the replies and the link. The reason this has become a problem is because my son wrecked the truck. The body shop says they looked up the VIN and it’s not a Bighorn, so they won’t replace the Bighorn emblem on the right side where it was damaged. I looked up the VIN using the link listed above and it says it is a Bighorn. Frustrating.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The body shop says they looked up the VIN and it’s not a Bighorn, so they won’t replace the Bighorn emblem on the right side where it was damaged. I looked up the VIN using the link listed above and it says it is a Bighorn. Frustrating.
The link GTYankee provided is to the manufacturer's website. Can you suggest to your body shop to use a vetted site to look up Chrysler VINs?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If it comes back on the build sheet as a Big Horn then it was built that way. I'd be curious as to where the shop looks that stuff up.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
More importantly.....IT'S YOUR TRUCK, not thiers.....If it says BigHorm all over it they better damn well be replacing the emblems or not getting paid at all.

Ch
Possibly an insurance company issue, as in insurance won't pay for a Bighorn logo? No idea, but ask if they would do it if you pay for it yourself. Couldn't cost that much?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Possibly an insurance company issue, as in insurance won't pay for a Bighorn logo? No idea, but ask if they would do it if you pay for it yourself. Couldn't cost that much?
You'd be surprised. A new Ram's head hood logo for an 02-05 is over $60.

ramman95

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Limited Crew Cab 6'4" Bed
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4X4
It sounds like the body shop are being A-Holes. Many years ago I put Thunder Road emblems on my 2004 and the Thunder Road was an appearance package that didn't come out until 2005. When my fiancé was sideswiped in the truck, the body shop replaced the RAM 1500 and the Thunder Road emblems on the right side. The insurance company paid for it no questions asked.