Falcon Shocks with ZRT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
I was interested in the Falcon shocks too until I found out that they have digressive valving as do my Bilstein 5100's. I've researched the differences between linear, progressive and digressive valving and ride qualities extensively. I'm not a fan of digressive shocks. Too firm on small bumps and not great at big hits either. They do handle g- outs well but aren't as good all around as a properly valved linear rate shock.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I ran falcon 3.1 shocks on my jeep and they are incredibly nice shocks. I hope they come out with Falcon shocks for the power wagon....

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Hello Belleville Ram. I looked at the video and, to be honest, I didn't understand his explanation at all. It seemed to come down to linear valving is, wait for it, linear! No surprise there. I also understood what he was saying that digressive valving essentially is "stiffer" (my term) in the first partof the motion. The problem is, to me, he never explains why this is worse than linear other than he just says "it is". The Falcons I have installed are stiffer than stock but the control and handling is a huge improvement, at least compared to my 50,000 mile stock shocks. I'm thinking his explanation of why he thinks linear valving is better might be more appropriate for the relatively smooth race tracks rather than the potholed streets that we all put up with in the real world.

Just my opinion as well as experience with the Falcon shocks. Thanks for posting the video.

BellevilleRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemI 5.7
Hello Belleville Ram. I looked at the video and, to be honest, I didn't understand his explanation at all. It seemed to come down to linear valving is, wait for it, linear! No surprise there. I also understood what he was saying that digressive valving essentially is "stiffer" (my term) in the first partof the motion. The problem is, to me, he never explains why this is worse than linear other than he just says "it is". The Falcons I have installed are stiffer than stock but the control and handling is a huge improvement, at least compared to my 50,000 mile stock shocks. I'm thinking his explanation of why he thinks linear valving is better might be more appropriate for the relatively smooth race tracks rather than the potholed streets that we all put up with in the real world.

Just my opinion as well as experience with the Falcon shocks. Thanks for posting the video.
I prefer to have my suspension set up to be compliant and plush on washboard roads and the pot holes roads you mentioned and also be able to handle the bigger hits when needed. Of course, all suspension on our vehicles is going to be a compromise unless you're willing to get into pricey custom valved bypass shocks. Then you can have it all! ;)

Jackofalltrades76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
New member here, long time Dodge/RAM fan. After much thought I went with the same setup of stock springs reuse but leveled out my '18 Laramie 4x4 with the Falcon shocks. I tow a 24ft travel trailer part time and I really wanted the increased dampening in the rear shocks for when I do. I have to say these shocks are night/day difference compared to stock. They handle daily city driving extremely well. I have yet to test them out in the dirt and actually hauling my trailer, but overall I am super impressed with them. Cost wise I actually believe it was money well spent and cannot wait to put some AT tires on round it all off.

I know that the 5100's are less expensive but you truly do get what you pay for with these things!

IMG_20200929_151704.jpg

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
New member here, long time Dodge/RAM fan. After much thought I went with the same setup of stock springs reuse but leveled out my '18 Laramie 4x4 with the Falcon shocks. I tow a 24ft travel trailer part time and I really wanted the increased dampening in the rear shocks for when I do. I have to say these shocks are night/day difference compared to stock. They handle daily city driving extremely well. I have yet to test them out in the dirt and actually hauling my trailer, but overall I am super impressed with them. Cost wise I actually believe it was money well spent and cannot wait to put some AT tires on round it all off.

I know that the 5100's are less expensive but you truly do get what you pay for with these things!

View attachment 227997

welcome your truck looks great

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Agreed. Looks great. Are those stock wheels with 275/60 R 20 tires? Looks like you did the highest front lift.

Yellow98stang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, Iknow this thread is a couple of months old but, I just (finally) had the Falcon Sport Tow/Haul system installed so I guess I'm the guinea pig here. I haven't done a lot of driving on them yet but the improvement in control is quite noticeable and amazing. Bumps, expansion joints, potholes - nothing upsets them. They definitely ride noticeably stiffer than stock but I happen to prefer that and the handling has improved significantly as well.

I only did what Falcon calls the medium lift setting which raises the front about 1.5" with the nose still very slightly down which is what I wanted for my truck. I have posted a before and after picture so you can see the difference. My driveway slopes a little so it tends to make the truck front look higher than it is relative to the rear. The difference I measured was 5.5" from top of front tire to lip of fender (stock) and just slightly less than 7" with the Falcon medium setting. Below is the link to their web site.

https://www.falconshocks.com/2009-ram-1500-classic

View attachment 221453
(STOCK)
View attachment 221454
(FALCON SHOCKS AT "MEDIUM" SETTING)
Looks awesome! I still love my Falcons. You can't even compare them to the 5100 bilsteins from my experience. Falcons have much better ride quality and amazing handling all around with bumps and cornering.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Wonder how these would do paired with some eibach coils. I don't have my oem coils any more but don't see why this combo wouldn't work. Gonna be doin a suspension refresh this year, and this combo with old man emu rear coils for extra weight might just be the ticket

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Wonder how these would do paired with some eibach coils. I don't have my oem coils any more but don't see why this combo wouldn't work. Gonna be doin a suspension refresh this year, and this combo with old man emu rear coils for extra weight might just be the ticket

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

It is my understanding that the Falcon shocks are designed to work with the stock springs so I don't think you should use then with the Eibach's or any other after market springs. Has anyone had any experience with the Falcon's and after market springs?

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
It is my understanding that the Falcon shocks are designed to work with the stock springs so I don't think you should use then with the Eibach's or any other after market springs. Has anyone had any experience with the Falcon's and after market springs?
I have to assume they do that more to guarantee people net the correct amount of advertised lift. There's so many different factory front coils there's no way They re valved for a specific rate. I'm sure They re valved as good as you can get for so many variables, so don't get me wrong on that, but people get really bent out of shape when they don't get advertised lift out of kits, rightfully so.

The eibach coils would accomplish the same thing they do on 5100s and just net me the lift without adding preload to them with the height clips, so in theory they SHOULD work, and potentially feel better as well. I have the Ecodiesel so that's another issue as I have totally different coils that would be even more of a pain to track down.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk