Falcon Shocks with ZRT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not many people seem to know this option is available for the RAM 1500 and not they're not just expensive 5100's which is why i'm taking the time to post this info :), the struts feature snap rings like a 5100 but they only have 3 more grooves from stock: med, level and heavy accessory (in theory if you have aftermarket bumper/winch), they're advertised as 2.25" but from posts from @Yellow98stang running the kit you get 2.5" on the level setting and should be around 1.25-1.5" in med groove. The struts make use of your factory front springs like the 5100's, and they are serviceable (By Teraflex)

Falcon offers 2 versions: Sport and Tow/Haul
Main difference seems to be Tow/Haul version have a rear piggyback res with 3 different adjustability settings for comfort and heavy load. The tow/haul version also seem to have longer rear shocks. the front struts have their ZRT techology (see video) and the struts also extended travel which is nice since you're going be driving them more like at max (level setting)

What's is Falcon ZRT ?

Specs from the Falcon catalog
falcon.png

Falcon thread with before/after install pics:
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/falcon-shocks-sport-kit-readylift-upper-control-arms.137459/

Falcon install video

Last edited:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hahahah, hearing Dennis’ voice in that video makes me laugh thinking about all the jeep videos I watched with him...hes a hoot for sure lol.

Those shocks look nice!

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
Their promotional videos sure do make these seem great. I wish more people would give these a shot and provide feedback. I did consider them but found the Icon stage 2 at a cheaper price than the Falcon kit and went that route instead.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Problem is they are not cheap. They are priced in the range of proven good shock set ups and being Terraflex is nothing to write home about compared to King or Fox in the same range. They have been out for a few years now and have yet to read anything great about them in the Jeep world to make me stray from whats always been a great set up. Maybe if they broke down and sold some cheap just to get them out and people actually talking them up ,instead all ya see for years is people asking about them

brad_12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could have always bought Eibach springs tho, right? ;)

At the time those damn Eibach springs were newer and could never get a solid date of when I could get my hands on some. That's why I skipped past Eibach as a whole at the time too because their whole kit was out of stock.

The 6112s did end up taking about 3.5 months too.

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Problem is they are not cheap. They are priced in the range of proven good shock set ups and being Terraflex is nothing to write home about compared to King or Fox in the same range. They have been out for a few years now and have yet to read anything great about them in the Jeep world to make me stray from whats always been a great set up. Maybe if they broke down and sold some cheap just to get them out and people actually talking them up ,instead all ya see for years is people asking about them
I was looking at shock systems for my 2014 Express and thought the Carli Commuter system seemed to be a good compromise setup. I contacted a local shop here (south/central PA) and they told me that since the Carli system uses Fox shocks, there is an issue with the salt and dirt we put up with around here damaging/corroding the Fox units. They also felt that there are issues with the temperature extremes here (anywhere from 100F to 0F) as well. They suggested the Falcon system saying it holds up better in the Northeast with the weather we have and it is less expensive than Carli. I'm seriously thinking of going with the Falcons at this point.

OP
OP
ram1500rsm

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Go for it. post some pics with install and finished product. Yes another option not for everybody and sure they're not Kings or Fox, but if you don't need that kind of offroad performance these are priced right in the middle between the cheap struts and shocks and the more expensive race shocks. Personally I think Falcons are nice and offer a nice improvement over stock and/or cheaper options. Again they're not cheap but you get what you pay for and in the world of suspension price DO matter. Pair the fronts with Eibach springs and i can only imagine the thing will ride super nicely.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was looking at shock systems for my 2014 Express and thought the Carli Commuter system seemed to be a good compromise setup. I contacted a local shop here (south/central PA) and they told me that since the Carli system uses Fox shocks, there is an issue with the salt and dirt we put up with around here damaging/corroding the Fox units. They also felt that there are issues with the temperature extremes here (anywhere from 100F to 0F) as well. They suggested the Falcon system saying it holds up better in the Northeast with the weather we have and it is less expensive than Carli. I'm seriously thinking of going with the Falcons at this point.
I had Fox on a Tacoma here at the Jersey shore with the same temp range plus Salt water/air and Brine on the road in winter and Fox was fine for me . Give them a shot , we will never know for sure till someone takes the chance . won't be me Im done

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Thanks for the feedback and encouragement from both of you. I have pretty much made up my mind on the Falcons. For Gary2, what the local shop told me was that the Fox shocks have an aluminum bady that, because of the snap rings, it is not coated with anything since the ring install would just scratch off any coating. Their experience is that there are corrosion issues when they *** hit with winter salt. Glad yours held up though.

It may be a few weeks before I get the work done but I'll definitely post pictures after. Thanks again.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fox 2.0's are aluminum body just like the millions of Bilsteins in use. The 2.5 Fox were steel body the last I knew at least what went on a Tacoma . Spray them with "Fluid Film" in the fall and wash them off at the car wash in spring and they will look like new. Thats a little trick from a lot farther north than us that I learned on Jeep Forums

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fox 2.0's are aluminum body just like the millions of Bilsteins in use. The 2.5 Fox were steel body the last I knew at least what went on a Tacoma . Spray them with "Fluid Film" in the fall and wash them off at the car wash in spring and they will look like new. Thats a little trick from a lot farther north than us that I learned on Jeep Forums

Fox actually makes a 2.0 budget steel version thats silver powder coated called the adventure series (zone uses these). These are offered to compete with the Bilsteins which are Zinc coated steel. The Fox hard anodized aluminum 2.0 shock version are the performance series (BDS uses these).

https://www.ridefox.com/product.php?m=truck&t=shocks&p=41

https://www.ridefox.com/product.php?m=truck&t=shocks&p=1

https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/product/bilstein-b8-5100/

Last edited:

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I had Fox on a Tacoma here at the Jersey shore with the same temp range plus Salt water/air and Brine on the road in winter and Fox was fine for me . Give them a shot , we will never know for sure till someone takes the chance . won't be me Im done

Well, Iknow this thread is a couple of months old but, I just (finally) had the Falcon Sport Tow/Haul system installed so I guess I'm the guinea pig here. I haven't done a lot of driving on them yet but the improvement in control is quite noticeable and amazing. Bumps, expansion joints, potholes - nothing upsets them. They definitely ride noticeably stiffer than stock but I happen to prefer that and the handling has improved significantly as well.

I only did what Falcon calls the medium lift setting which raises the front about 1.5" with the nose still very slightly down which is what I wanted for my truck. I have posted a before and after picture so you can see the difference. My driveway slopes a little so it tends to make the truck front look higher than it is relative to the rear. The difference I measured was 5.5" from top of front tire to lip of fender (stock) and just slightly less than 7" with the Falcon medium setting. Below is the link to their web site.

https://www.falconshocks.com/2009-ram-1500-classic

2020-08-25_08-09-26_258.jpeg
(STOCK)
2020-09-12_09-15-22_547.jpeg
(FALCON SHOCKS AT "MEDIUM" SETTING)

LarryA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you going to put bigger tires on?

jmc921

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
Probably not for now. The stock 20" rims and the 275/60R20 tires actually fill things out fairly well. They are 33" diameter after all. That was huge at one time! They obviously aren't as meaty as 35's but then some 35's may rub with this setup.

The Kumho Crugen HT51 tires that I have are heavily siped and, as far as I know, are one of the few A/S tires that are snow rated (3 Peak Mountain Snowflake). I don't do any off roading so these are all I need for now. At some point, my wife and I plan to tour the country, especially the west, and do some light trail and gravel drive exploring. I may get something a little more aggressive then. My plan is to maybe use a smaller wheel (17" or 18") to try to save some weight since it seems like almost all of the A/T tires are LT rated and 10 or more pounds heavier than the P-rated tires.