Feeling of Something Rubbing through Steering Wheel/Seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Ok,

This one has me a bit stumped. I have a 2017 Ram Limited 4x4 with 60k miles.

Explanation of issue:

I am getting this weird almost tire rubbing type of feel in the steering wheel and seat when I turn left or right at lower speeds. At least that's when I notice it the most. This doesn't always happen, and seems to be more aggressive feeling when it's extremely hot outside like it is lately (over 100F). I have raised all four tires (which I confirmed are not rubbing on anything) testing to see if I have a bad wheel bearing or suspension part and i have zero play or movement in any of the wheels when I rotate top and bottom or side to side. I have personally gone under the truck and grabbed hold of the end links, control arms, cv axle etc and there is zero play at all with all components of the suspension. The only "play" is the very small amount of side to side movement for articulation in the cv axle which I believe is normal?? I'm not sure.

Has anyone dealt with this and if so what did the issue end up being?

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Ok,

This one has me a bit stumped. I have a 2017 Ram Limited 4x4 with 60k miles.

Explanation of issue:

I am getting this weird almost tire rubbing type of feel in the steering wheel and seat when I turn left or right at lower speeds. At least that's when I notice it the most. This doesn't always happen, and seems to be more aggressive feeling when it's extremely hot outside like it is lately (over 100F). I have raised all four tires (which I confirmed are not rubbing on anything) testing to see if I have a bad wheel bearing or suspension part and i have zero play or movement in any of the wheels when I rotate top and bottom or side to side. I have personally gone under the truck and grabbed hold of the end links, control arms, cv axle etc and there is zero play at all with all components of the suspension. The only "play" is the very small amount of side to side movement for articulation in the cv axle which I believe is normal?? I'm not sure.

Has anyone dealt with this and if so what did the issue end up being?
Reviving this for hopes of a response

OP
OP
RodRamCar

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
I wonder if any previous oil changes caused oil to saturate anything on the steering rack, EPS unit to cause some funky rubbing feel since the filter does sit right above that.

HemiJames

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you ever driven through high water? I did in mine during 2 seperate hurricanes and I guess it got into my diff. About a year to 18 months later I was getting a rubbing noise almost like if you start in to high of a gear on a standard transmission. Took to dealer twice, they couldnt figure it out even though I was nudging them toward the diff, anyways they wouldn't bite so I had to change the fluid myself and the noise went away. Mine is a 2wd so I didn't get a vibration in the seat or steering wheel.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Front axle CV joints could be going. Have you inspected the CV boots for cracks?