Intermittent antifreeze smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kboi21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So back in December, my heater was not working (blowing cool) so I did a heater core flush. I first back flushed the entire system, then removed the lines from the heater core then flushed it by itself, even put a bit of CLR in the heater core for a couple of minuets, then flushed again. It made the heater work at least but now, 3 months later every once and a while after driving it I get a little smell of antifreeze. Surely the stuff I flushed out would be burned off and gone by now, and the coolant level is full and has never changed, any wild thoughts as to why the smell is still around? 2015-- 2500 with the Cummins motor.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I had some warranty work done three years ago to replace the water pump in the CTD on one of my trucks. And I still smell coolant when warm. I think that OAT coolant type smells and lingers more than the older stuff did? I have several FCA vehicles, the only vehicle I own that doesnt smell like coolant is my newest truck.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Newer coolants tend to linger with their smells longer. I think it's got to do with the extra additives.

About the only thing that could be done would be to get in there and clean everything really well, but even then you might still get a bit of smell.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So back in December, my heater was not working (blowing cool) so I did a heater core flush. I first back flushed the entire system, then removed the lines from the heater core then flushed it by itself, even put a bit of CLR in the heater core for a couple of minuets, then flushed again. It made the heater work at least but now, 3 months later every once and a while after driving it I get a little smell of antifreeze. Surely the stuff I flushed out would be burned off and gone by now, and the coolant level is full and has never changed, any wild thoughts as to why the smell is still around? 2015-- 2500 with the Cummins motor.
My 2016 hemi has had an antifreeze smell since it was brand new. 100k miles and 8 years later, i still get an antifreeze smell once in a while. Havnt added any fluid since new ‍♂️. Might be a completely different thing considering you have a cummins, but just thought id toss that out there

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
My 2016 hemi has had an antifreeze smell since it was brand new. 100k miles and 8 years later, i still get an antifreeze smell once in a while. Havnt added any fluid since new ‍♂️. Might be a completely different thing considering you have a cummins, but just thought id toss that out there

Yeah the 6.4 (presuming that's what you've got) tends to do that, my 2017 Wagon started doing it shortly after I bought it (bought it with 3 miles on it, probably started noticing the scent at about 10k miles?). Randomly walking around the front I'd sniff antifreeze then it would be gone. Others have stated the same - no evidence of any leaks, never needed fluid topped off (for over 100k miles), but would occasionally smell it. Some speculate the hoses on the 6.4 are just porous enough to let the smell out, perhaps it's the vent in the overflow and it's just a REALLY smelly coolant, I have no idea, but after 100k if it had a leak I'd think I would have had to add some coolant.

I have NOT noticed a smell with my 6.7 CTD, but it has 15k miles on it.

SixFOURhemiHD

Ghost Rider
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L 392 Hemi
Check your upper radiator hose mine was split at the clamp on the water pump from the factory but barely leaked. Lasted 100k before it really failed. Fixed this exact situation for me.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
2014 6.4 Hemi with 130K on the clock (although I'm on 2nd engine) and I've had the smell on and off since new. I've seen it talked about and reported here for years. Keep and eye on your fluid level but the faint smell alone is rarely a problem.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It could be a leak coming from the egr coolant lines under the intake manifold. The leak is small and usually won’t see the coolant until you pull the intake itself. I believe it’s a common issue on the 6.4 hemi.