Finally made the switch to redline - Results so far.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hasn't the Hemi tick been around since the creation of the Hemi?

Red Line oil and water wetter is #1 in my opinion!
Water wetter can mix with our coolant? Just as good as the RMI-25 ? Been trying to find rmi-25 but cheapest here is $50 for small 8oz bottle.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
RMI-25 is a cooling system cleaner, I don't prefer using it unless there is a hint of a problem. The only time I would consider water wetter was if my water temp was getting over the thermo setting. My thermo works religiously 203/4, so as long as that is the case, no reason for water wetter. I think the real benefit of water wetter was like the old green bottle stuff that in racing you just have the entire radiator full of water and drop one bottle of this in, allows engines to run cooler. But I wouldn't mess with the complex chemistry of oem coolant unless there was an underlying cause personally.

awpratt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad it worked for you. I wouldnt write ram off because of that issue EVERY brand has its demons at least we know ours.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.
Gm has cam and lifter issues much worse than the Ram's. But again every manufacturer has issues it just depends what you want to deal with. I have had good luck with my truck using Mobil 1 and the more expensive SRT filter at 5000 mile intervals.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Gm has cam and lifter issues much worse than the Ram's. But again every manufacturer has issues it just depends what you want to deal with. I have had good luck with my truck using Mobil 1 and the more expensive SRT filter at 5000 mile intervals.
Very true I have a 07 Tahoe just turned 105k and guess what that wonderful afm has started the fail cycle. Lol luckily it was about to get a cam bolt ons 4.30s a 2/4 drop and some helper bags to become a dedicated tow vehicle and long trip.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bought my 2012 5.7L last year with 80000km/49700mi on it and it ran like a top with Mobil 1 synthetic. about a month or two ago I started noticing two separate sound, both of which I did not like.

The first was on about 1/10 starts, I would get 5 or 6 rapid ticks driver side and it would fade away. The second noise was noticed driver side and after truck was driven. Sounded like metal on metal tapping and one cylinder (or lifter) only. Started out being about once a week and turned into an almost constant noise.

So after much debate and reading online I picked up redline 5W30 and a fram tough gaurd filter for a hefty $194cdn.

After 50km of driving ALL sounds are gone. This is the quietest I've heard this truck yet.

I am very pleased with the oil so far but time will tell if the results will last or if my Hemi will shred the camshaft like a fat kid eats cake.

I do think this will be my last ram though, at least till Fiat or Ram or whoever is in charge deals with this very obvious valve train issue. The fact this community has had to pool together all its collective knowledge to come up with a solution (which is using the most expensive oil I've seen in Canada) to keep the engine from eating it self has left a pretty bitter taste in my mouth.

Thank you though, to all those that recommended redline! fingers crossed I'll get to keep my ram for a while yet.

I live in Canada as well ... Did you try the Mobil 1 Extended Performance synthetic oil and filter ?? That's what I have been using and have had no issues with tick ... As an alternative, if Mobil 1 oil is out of stock when I need it, I will use Castrol Extended Performance ... I do my own oil changes which also cuts down on the cost .. Canadian Tire puts it on sale frequently ...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP, did your truck engine get more quite because you switched to Redline oil or because you changed oil viscosity from 5w-20 to 5w-30?
Do you think another brand oil would of given you the same results if you switch to a higher viscosity?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It is possible 5w30 could "fix" a lot of sounds, but as we have found after ten years of testing, higher additives are definitely are part of the equation. Especially start up tick which 5w30 would not help, but for those trucks higher moly, high zinc, high phos, esters, and pao seam to help.

By all means try some random group 3 first, especially if money is a concern, use some of the knowledge on the forum to make a selection, high moly and/or moly substitute might help as well. There is a reason why we call lubegard poor mans redline, it is very possible a 6 dollar additive can help a random group 3 oil stop ticking, read the reviews on it. Bottom line, kill those ticks, we have proven with uoa's when you kill the tick, you kill the wear numbers.

OP
OP
R

RAMLUVR69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well an update for you guys, the tick is back and its back with a vengeance.

I put on about 500km since the oil change and just today it came back when I got home from work and pulled up beside the wife's car I heard it loud and clear.

I recall reading before that it may take a while before it goes away fully so well see I guess.

Thats the beauty of being a gen 4 ram owner, waiting to see if your lucky or not.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It is complicated for sure, it is rare that someone will just dump in redline and that's that, never a another sound. It is a process and most of us have good results over time. Keep us posted.

So how is it at warm idle? Can you catch a video?

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve had great luck with Royal Purple, and Amsoil, 5-30, I run that **** in all my vehicle’s, and for the money it’s still cheaper then conventional syn’s and more frequent changes. Remember to get yourselves a good filter, it ain’t just about the lubrications aspects, you need to filter the particulates as well. Throw some Motorkote in their every other oil change and you’ll see a distinct improvement. And no I ain’t getting paid to promote it.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I’ve had great luck with Royal Purple, and Amsoil, 5-30, I run that **** in all my vehicle’s, and for the money it’s still cheaper then conventional syn’s and more frequent changes. Remember to get yourselves a good filter, it ain’t just about the lubrications aspects, you need to filter the particulates as well. Throw some Motorkote in their every other oil change and you’ll see a distinct improvement. And no I ain’t getting paid to promote it.

Ah RP good filters

20200620_113821.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

So motorkote is chlorinated paraffin. They really take away tick and make an engine sound smooth at first, but they are corrosive, it is exactly like adding bleach to your oil. Below you see the product and how many ppm chlorine it has, plus % of treatment as chlorine. The juice aint worth the squeeze, it will make an engine sound great at first, they really do work, but slowly they will corrode your engine.

Engine Treatment Product Chlorine, ppm (%)

Dura Lube Engine Treatment Booster 55,000 (5.5)

Motorkote Hyper Lubricant Treatment 272,000 (27.2)

Motorkote MK Million Mile Formula 207,000 (20.7)

Prolong Engine Treatment 304,000 (30.4)

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paraffin is wax basically isn't it? Ain't that why all those engines got all gunked up back in the 70's and earlier that used Quaker State? I distinctly remember hearing many stories when I was a kid about QS and paraffin.
Just use Redline and if you absolutely have too add some Lubeguard. I didn't really have much of a tick to start with and went back to it just for peace of mind.

Mike Townsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try a bottle of Liquid Moly. I put it in my truck and it stopped the tick and the ticking at cold starts. I run Amsoil but it doesn't get completely rid of the tick on its own but is a great oil so I am sticking with it

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm about 3k from my next oil change (do them every 5k). I am absolutely going to Redline but by the the time i do the next oil change it will be fall. So i don't want to use 10w30. What advisable for New England winters?

kidmandudebro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Redline could make all the difference, really I think at the level of oil product compared to a brand off a shelf at Walmart it's something to think about. Its expensive for a good reason but a good investment for what we pay for our trucks, if you want the edge over regular store bought stage 3 oil I'd go for it. Its not hype that's for sure. Its costly but I don't want to chince on cheaper oil if I can afford not to.

I don't go after cheaper tattoo shops ether.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm about 3k from my next oil change (do them every 5k). I am absolutely going to Redline but by the the time i do the next oil change it will be fall. So i don't want to use 10w30. What advisable for New England winters?

0w30 for sure, there is no reason to run 10w30 redline in a hemi, 0w30 is great for the cold, and 5w30 is better for the warm states, it is a base oil thing, the hths on 5w30 is better then 10w30.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rskew