Find the Rattle!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flyguytki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been away for awhile but I have a re occurring issue that I need to solve. Last summer before it got cold I had a rattle that sounds metallic and as if there is a pin in round hole that is just rattling around hitting all the sides. During the super Alaska cold this past winter the noise went away, however as soon as it warmed up the rattle came back. I had an idea that it may be the shock rattling inside the upper strut mount so I tore the whole suspension apart and but couldent find anything. As far as I can tell there is no evidence of anything being loose or showing wear in the suspension related components. My next idea is that its somewhere I just cant see, so I pulled the fender well out and decided to put the go pro to see what it could find. Take a look at the video and let me know if you see anything out of the ordinary. The rattle really becomes evident around the 1:52 mark.

Thanks guys! I need to find this!

https://youtu.be/Q7bYgofhGM0

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I have been away for awhile but I have a re occurring issue that I need to solve. Last summer before it got cold I had a rattle that sounds metallic and as if there is a pin in round hole that is just rattling around hitting all the sides. During the super Alaska cold this past winter the noise went away, however as soon as it warmed up the rattle came back. I had an idea that it may be the shock rattling inside the upper strut mount so I tore the whole suspension apart and but couldent find anything. As far as I can tell there is no evidence of anything being loose or showing wear in the suspension related components. My next idea is that its somewhere I just cant see, so I pulled the fender well out and decided to put the go pro to see what it could find. Take a look at the video and let me know if you see anything out of the ordinary. The rattle really becomes evident around the 1:52 mark.

Thanks guys! I need to find this!

https://youtu.be/Q7bYgofhGM0

Have you had the opportunity to take it to the dealer? – Kevin T, Social Connect Team

LifeSTRONG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you install the washer on the shaft of the bilsteins, or above under the nut?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Flyguytki

Flyguytki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The washer is up against the bilstein under the strut mount. On top of the strut mount is just the nut.

Is this right?

OP
OP
Flyguytki

Flyguytki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have not taken it to the dealer. They will charge me a lot of money to tell me the suspension is not under warranty and they can't duplicate the problem.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The washer is up against the bilstein under the strut mount. On top of the strut mount is just the nut.

Is this right?
That is the correct location for the washer Sir .
Some have a rattle when the top nut for the Bilstien shock is not tight enough?

Or one of the three nuts retaining the assembly to the frames tower mount is not tight ?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hope this helps !

38adc04bb35ce8cbb0953f0680c83e73.jpg

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=79370&share_fid=17770&share_type=t

Alright guys.. BILSTEINS post your pics!!!

blu3s94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a rattle before I changed the location of the washer, changed it and still have a rattle with bils at 2.8 and mevotechs.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Flyguytki

Flyguytki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is the correct location for the washer Sir .
Some have a rattle when the top nut for the Bilstien shock is not tight enough?

Or one of the three nuts retaining the assembly to the frames tower mount is not tight ?

Nuts are all tight, I may try the body mount idea. I am kinda open to anything. Its such an annoying rattle!

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had a similar rattle. Turned out to be some loose screws holding in the fender liner. Obviously not the case in your vid, but just an idea of how simple it could be.

IMO

LifeSTRONG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seems like a long shot.. On UCA you know how U have the nuts with arms? Well could that be not against the frame so when UCA sways/ moves it the arms of nut hitting frame?

skirider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
WhaT side the rattle comming from. I have a similar noise on passenger side with bilsteins cant find it

OP
OP
Flyguytki

Flyguytki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's on the driver's side. I will check the UCA and body mount, I'm pretty sure it will be something similar like a loose bolt just laying somewhere but don't know where that is going to be!