First ram purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcars91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I just purchased this 1998 Ram 1500 with the 5.9 and I am wondering if you guys/gals have any input into what common issues I should be looking out for? This is what I'm working on so far, I'll be towing a 21ft toy hauler.
Airlift Load Lifter 5000
Rock Solid steering bushing
ball joints
tie rod ends
pitman arm
idle arm
all 4 shocks
radiator (mine has a slight crack)
valve cover gasket
diff gasket
Curt Triflex brake controller

Attachments

• IMG_3451.jpg
    IMG_3451.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 52

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I just purchased this 1998 Ram 1500 with the 5.9 and I am wondering if you guys/gals have any input into what common issues I should be looking out for? This is what I'm working on so far, I'll be towing a 21ft toy hauler.
Airlift Load Lifter 5000
ball joints
tie rod ends
pitman arm
idle arm
all 4 shocks
valve cover gasket
diff gasket
Add plenum gasket to that list. Do a trans fluid and filter change+band adjustment.

How heavy is this trailer?

OP
OP
J

jcars91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Thanks man, I will ad those to the list of goodies as well. Is there a thread on band adjustment by chance? I've got a lot of experience when it comes to cars but this is my first truck.

The trailer is around 5600 dry, so I would say around 8000 loaded. I've got a weight distribution hitch set up for it as well.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Your truck is a reg cab short box? 8000 lbs behind it is to much, like 2000lbs to much.

Down load the fsm from here, it has all the info you need.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Id be wary about doing that with a 1500, especially a regular cab short bed. The engine and axle can handle it just fine, the transmission brakes and suspension is what you should be worried about though. You posted your suspension plan i do believe already but what about transmission and brakes? If you're pulling 8k more than a couple times a year you'll wear that tranny out quicker than ****. And 1500 brakes aren't gonna like stopping that at all either. I'm not saying my trucks never had weight like that behind it (pulled about 10k on several occasions) but that's because that's how my dad is.

I just don't recommend it. 1500s are rated for 7500lb from the factory and that's with a longer wheelbase

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
^^ah Merc beat me to it. That's why i asked about trailer weight though was the regular cab short bed

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Airlift Load Lifter 5000
ball joints
tie rod ends
pitman arm
idle arm
all 4 shocks
valve cover gasket
diff gasket

I wouldnt drop the money in that if you plan on towing. I woulda bout a 2500 v10. That would be plenty to pull that toy hauler. But those are kinda hard to find so if your serious about towing that trailer often, save your money on that truck, sell it, and get AT LEAST a extended cab. Or single cab long bed.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Cc/sb is only rated to tow 6800 depending on axle ratio, tire size and motor.

auskip07

Reaction score
Ram Year
s
Engine
s
You know that moment when you should have bought a diesel but didnt? .... Thats right now

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
^^^ v8 v10 whatever but yes 2500 or 3500. U know my op on lard burners lol.

OP
OP
J

jcars91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Well I'm balls deep in it now so we will see how it goes lol. This toy hauler was being towed behind an f-150 with nothing but airbags behind it without any issue. I'll let you guys know if I manage to blow up my truck lol

What would you guys recommend as a brake upgrade? Is there a larger set of rotor and calipers I can mount up with the right brackets? Or would new rotors and pads be sufficient? The trailer has brakes as well, so that will help a bit.

David H

USA RET
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I pull a boat that's 4k wet with my 98 5.9. And it's lighter being a 2wd. Can't imagine hauling more than twice that. Bad idea. But good luck anyway.

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure about brakes, to be honest brakes are the least of my worries. If you're serious about it, then upgrade to drilled and slotted rotors and organic pads (won't heat up as quickly).

The fact is, 8k is too much for a single cab short bed. Weight distribution won't do crap. The wheelbase is too short. You'll never be able to handle that amount of weight behind that truck. It'll throw you all over the road. There's a reason 2500/3500's don't come in single cab short bed configurations. They would be too unstable while towing.

Air bags, weight distribution hitch, trailer brake controller...it's all for nothing. The truck will not be physically capable of handling it.

IF you're dead serious about using the truck to haul with, and choose to avoid our advice on parting ways and investing into a proper truck to haul with, then here's the advice I'll give to at least TRY to keep you safe.

Invest in some 3/4 ton rear springs or have someone build you a set of springs.
Install a rear sway bar, and upgrade the front sway bar to something heavy duty.
Invest in the said brakes I listed above.
Invest into the air bags you mentioned, do some Firestone Ride Rights or something rated for the 5k leveling capacity.
Invest in some 10 ply tires.
Invest in some rear shocks (like Rancho 9000's that are adjustable)
Make sure the truck has a hitch rated for that kind of load.
Do a once over on the truck, make sure there's no frame rot or anything of the like to prevent the truck from folding in half if you have to stomp hard on the brakes (sounds crazy and laugh, but I've seen it happen).

Best advice I can give from here is...stay OFF the highways and interstates. Keep it under 40 mph.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jcars91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
What I don't get is everyone one here is saying that way to much weight for this truck but in the Dodge manual that's in the truck it says max towing capacity is 8100. Usually manufactures will air on the more cautious side of the numbers they give for max anything.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll be on the search for upgrading said parts.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
What I don't get is everyone one here is saying that way to much weight for this truck but in the Dodge manual that's in the truck it says max towing capacity is 8100. Usually manufactures will air on the more cautious side of the numbers they give for max anything.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll be on the search for upgrading said parts.

I call bs on 8100lbs max tow capacity. The highest a 1500 was rated for was 7500 and that WAS NOT a single can short bed

OP
OP
J

jcars91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Here it is in black and white lol, I was surprised to after everyone's replys on this thread.

Attachments

• IMG_3463.jpg
    IMG_3463.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 28

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Here it is in black and white lol, I was surprised to after everyone's replys on this thread.

I'll admit it i had my numbers wrong. But though it may say 8100lbs for a 2wd 1500 5.9, do you really think that applies to a rcsb? Might as well tow it with a 2dr wrangler.

The point we're getting at is, it's unsafe and will destroy the truck if you continue to do it. We really just don't want to see you hurt yourself or somebody else and getting a proper truck to pull it will be a lot less in the end than it will be to equip that most of the way. Lot less work too. If tune trailer was 5k total i would sari go for it but you said 8k.

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
I'll admit it i had my numbers wrong. But though it may say 8100lbs for a 2wd 1500 5.9, do you really think that applies to a rcsb? Might as well tow it with a 2dr wrangler.

The point we're getting at is, it's unsafe and will destroy the truck if you continue to do it. We really just don't want to see you hurt yourself or somebody else and getting a proper truck to pull it will be a lot less in the end than it will be to equip that most of the way. Lot less work too. If tune trailer was 5k total i would sari go for it but you said 8k.

I don't think so because towing anything = grenaded trans. :roflsquared: