First ram purchase

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
My numbers are wrong as well or I'll say not enough info is proved. I don't see a weight rating for a reg cab short box. But other wise 8000.

OP
OP
J

jcars91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
8 grand was a high overestimate, I figured I would rather give a number that's to high than to low. Let me do some maths and I will get an accurate number and see what you guys think

OP
OP
J

jcars91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
So according to dodge I should be able tow it

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
So according to dodge I should be able tow it

TECHNICALLY yes. I personally wouldnt tow over 5k in that.

The issue here is not that it WONT but that its not a good idea. The engine is fine. But I dont want to be on a 2 lane highway and have a semi pass me then have the trailer sway like theres no tomorrow.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
^^^ That's about right in my op for these trucks. I've towed lots with my truck and I mean lots. I stop at around 6500lbs after that things just get hairy. And that's with airbags in the back and bigger 2500ld 7500lbs front brakes and of course the elec trailer brakes.

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
^^^ That's about right in my op for these trucks. I've towed lots with my truck and I mean lots. I stop at around 6500lbs after that things just get hairy. And that's with airbags in the back and bigger 2500ld 7500lbs front brakes and of course the elec trailer brakes.

I pulled around 5500 at my last job without OD off.. I had about 20 mins of 70mph and my engine didnt enjoy that lol And neither did my transmission. Thats the most ive ever towed. No trailer sway just really ****** heavy lol

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's not enough information on that sheet above to verify that the truck is capable. When purchasing a rig specifically for towing, and that's it, the best available option is a 3500 2wd SINGLE cab LONG bed dually. They have the highest tow rating. The sheet above shows nothing regarding long bed or short bed. Same thing, again, for a QCSB vs a QCLB. The long beds have a higher tow rating, but lower than a RCLB.

The fact of the matter is, the truck itself is not safe enough to do it with. It's a single cab short bed truck pulling literally twice it's own weight. Trailer brakes or not, the wheelbase is too short and you'll be a hazard on the road. Engine, trans, and gear ratio do not determine a truck's tow capacity.

As stated, if you decide to do it anyways, invest into the parts I've mentioned. Don't skip out on anything or take any short cuts.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8

Dad used to haul our skidloader around that weighed nearly 8k by itself. Then it would go on a dual axle trailer. Total weight was almost 10k. One time he loaded the bed up to the top of the cab in railroad ties.

Now that he has a proper truck to do **** like that, HE DOESN'T:flipthebird:

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've done it with my truck as well. Hauled the boss's Ford 7.3 Diesel Excursion on a tandem flatbed trailer across town after it broke down. Curb weight is 7700lbs, then with the added Winchready front and rear bumpers, Warn 16.5 winch, 6" lift, 37" tires on 20" wheels, it weighs in at almost 11k across the scales. Add on the trailer at about 3k dry, that was WAY over my truck's capacity. But, slower speeds on back roads I made it from about 30 miles with no problems.

Picture of said Excursion for reference to size.

0152885662285736_4336564295595483343_n_zpsm35wddmk.jpg

But an occasional load here or there isn't as much of a concern. My concern is a single cab short bed truck DESIGNATED for towing a load more than double the truck's weight.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I have a friend that used to haul a mass amount of weight with his 1500 like 20,000 lbs of hay or some****. I gave that friend one hell of a hard time over that ****. They now have the right truck for the job. Some of u know who i am refering to lol.

Exceeding the towing limit of your truck is just dumb, kill yourself or maybe someone else just going across town or towing on the hwy DON'T DO IT. Maybe even get a nice fine outta the deal if you're caught.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jcars91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Well after doing some actual maths my total trailer weight will be right around 6500, maybe a little less since I rounded up on everything to make the math easier. Do you guys think that is more of manageable weight for this truck. I know it still weighs a lot more than the truck but that's 1500 less than what I thought it would be.

I also see everyone saying that a longer bed/truck is better for towing. Is this because of the longer wheel base or because of it is heavier? It might be a dumb question but I'm pretty much fluorescent green when it comes to this lol

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I have a friend that used to haul a mass amount of weight with his 1500 like 20,000 lbs of hay or some****. I gave that friend one hell of a hard time over that ****. They now have the right truck for the job. Some of u know who i am refering to lol.

Exceeding the towing limit of your truck is just dumb, kill yourself or maybe someone else just going across town or towing on the hwy DON'T DO IT. Maybe even get a nice fine outta the deal if you're caught.

I agree. The only reason i can for doing it is situations like Nightmares above. Broke down needs it across town 1 way trip. Ok fine go slow be careful go slower...not a big deal. What dad used to do i can't stand

Last edited:

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi

If I had a dollar ever time a farmer here was pulling a hay wagon with a 1/2ton. I could afford a 1ton and tow their wagons around. Mind you there are no major highways to use except one 80km one and I've never seen a hay wagon on it.

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Well after doing some actual maths my total trailer weight will be right around 6500, maybe a little less since I rounded up on everything to make the math easier. Do you guys think that is more of manageable weight for this truck. I know it still weighs a lot more than the truck but that's 1500 less than what I thought it would be.

I also see everyone saying that a longer bed/truck is better for towing. Is this because of the longer wheel base or because of it is heavier? It might be a dumb question but I'm pretty much fluorescent green when it comes to this lol

Its a little of both but mostly the longer wheelbase.

The 6500 is better but still not ideal. Id be somewhat ok with doing it myself but would probably keep it off the highway unless you absolutely have to.

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Correct. It is technically illegal to pull outside your trucks capacity.

And just to clarify, hauling that excursion was under severe circumstances involving two kids in extreme heat.

As stated, better, but still stretched. The longer wheel base can prevent trailer sway. Never a fun experience.