First road trip in the Cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rollincoal420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Oh6
Engine
C
Kinda just posting this up to hear some comments questions and concerns as this is my first cummins and my first road trip with it and didnt really know what to expect. So maybe u more experienced fellows could help shed some light

Its a 2006 cummins auto, 3500 sew short bed 4x4. We drove 1966 miles this past holiday weekend, from Knoxville, Tn to Tampa, Fl. Burned about a tank down there and drove back, then to Cincinnati and back.

Heading down to fl, got 19.5 mpg, ave cruising speed was 70-75 and my ave egt's cruising was below 800! Coming back from fl, got about 15.5 mpg, cruising speed was the same and egt's hovered close to 800*. Going down was pretty much down hill and. Coming back obviously was up hill. And elevation change of about 1000ft. I wouldnt think it would have that great of an affect on mpgs but i guess so?

Our whole trip ave 15.5 mpg, 1966 miles and about 127 gallons of fuel.

I was really surprised at how well the truck did on this trip. I was for sure something would have went wrong, but not a single thing!
The best part of the drive, was the retrofitted lights! Damn what a difference! It made driving at night so much fun and driving during the day just made me want to drive at night. Thanks again JJ!

Do these numbers sound close yo par for an automatic truck? Does something not sound right? Without a topped, what do u guys do w ur luggage on these long trips?

Samsung SCH-I510 tapatalkin 2 u

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Numbers sound right to me!
Getting about 18.5 avg per tank, mostly highway here with a level and 35's in a mountainous region and it could care less if the back seat is full of stuff or anything in the bed really haha

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That sounds about right from what I've seen my buddy get in his fleet of Cummins'ezeeses.
If you want better MPGs you'll have to slow that beast down.

OP
OP
Rollincoal420

Rollincoal420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Oh6
Engine
C
Ha, it was everything i could do to stay at the speed i was at. Lol. If it wasnt for cruise control, i would have gotten 10mpg.

Mine seems to b the same way about weight. I had an 800lbs concrete block for about 4 months and when i took it out, i MAYBE gained 1 mpg by taking it out. But given that, i would not assume that gradually climbing 1000ft, over 3 states, would loose me 4 mpg?!?