Flat link e. Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
Put this on today. Going to change the cable out when it gets warmer. Lame thread but Incase anyone wanted to see a installed pic with stock cable here it is

C58FF2D4-5117-4A4C-83D0-3336D33CE3BF.jpeg

7727202A-3D9A-4C97-89C0-CB1D58E9059F.jpeg

DE68A0DF-5830-47FB-AB3F-ABB4C83BB808.jpeg

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm kind of curious on this.....what's the point etc? what am I looking at? Sorry I'm not familiar with power wagons a ton yet as I just got one but I'm not a huge fan of the hook hanging off the tow hook.....

OP
OP
Westwind1124a

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
I'm kind of curious on this.....what's the point etc? what am I looking at? Sorry I'm not familiar with power wagons a ton yet as I just got one but I'm not a huge fan of the hook hanging off the tow hook.....

Just a hook upgrade. very nice stuff. factor55.com has all the info there. Wasn't sure how it'd fit so I put the picture up incase anyone else was wondering

TXTONKA

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Looks good. I went with the same red colored Factor 55 flatlink. I really like how it gives the truck a cleaner look and the application of the closed shackle winching system.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Damnnnnnn they don't give those away. So then you just have to toss a shackle on the end instead of having the hook. which honestly isn't a big deal anyways. You're typically wrapping the hook around a tree and hooking back on it's self or whatever anyways.

Team Horner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just a hook upgrade. very nice stuff. factor55.com has all the info there. Wasn't sure how it'd fit so I put the picture up incase anyone else was wondering

I was contemplating the same exact thing so thank you for posting this because it definitely motivated me to just order it already.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I went with the ultrahook from Factor55 since it's seems to be the best of both worlds. Let's be honest though - I mainly got it because I thought it looked better than the stock Warn hook or even the flat link. :)

OP
OP
Westwind1124a

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
Looks good. I went with the same red colored Factor 55 flatlink. I really like how it gives the truck a cleaner look and the application of the closed shackle winching system.

I think I should have gone with red too. I played it safe, oh, well

Damnnnnnn they don't give those away. So then you just have to toss a shackle on the end instead of having the hook. which honestly isn't a big deal anyways. You're typically wrapping the hook around a tree and hooking back on it's self or whatever anyways.

Yeah, I'm going to do more in the spring with new equipment

I was contemplating the same exact thing so thank you for posting this because it definitely motivated me to just order it already.

What color did you go with?

Nice choice! I have same one, but actually decided to have it stick out.

It just stopped up against the rollers. When I do the fairlead swap it will probably be further forward.

OP
OP
Westwind1124a

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
I went with the ultrahook from Factor55 since it's seems to be the best of both worlds. Let's be honest though - I mainly got it because I thought it looked better than the stock Warn hook or even the flat link. :)

Ultra link looks sweet. just a bit over kill for me.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

In my opinion, these things are basically mainly for looks. What purpose does it really serve anymore than hooking a d-ring to the factory cable loop? I mean you have to hook a d-ring up anyway, why not just completely bypass the flat link and connect it right to the cable?

But regardless, it looks good, and lets face it thats what most of us are after!

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
.................You're typically wrapping the hook around a tree and hooking back on it's self or whatever anyways.

Attaching the hook “back on the cable” is generally frowned upon. Doing so can damage/kink steel cable, and is especially bad for synthetic cable.

Best/safest method is to put a tree strap around the tree(or other anchor point), join the ends of the strap with a shackle, and attach the hook to the shackle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
In my opinion, these things are basically mainly for looks. What purpose does it really serve anymore than hooking a d-ring to the factory cable loop? I mean you have to hook a d-ring up anyway, why not just completely bypass the flat link and connect it right to the cable?

But regardless, it looks good, and lets face it thats what most of us are after!

I definitely agree - if it was for pure function there would be no need to get anything besides the flat link. My first truck when I was 16 had a Warn winch, so nostalgia definitely came into play with wanting to keep a "hook" on there.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yeah I’ll keep the hook. Maybe get the warn one with the bottle opener. Haha

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
No winch on Big White yet but had them on previous trucks. I drill thru a tennis ball, push the cable thru then wind it all in. Tennis ball lets you take the slop out as it starts to squish. That keeps the hook from banging around. You don't wind the cable all the way in 100% which causes it to get stuck occasionally. Releases and comes out real nice every time.
Here's the setup on my quad as #1 son works his room & board off. :). Might have to blow it up. Sorry, only pic still on this phone.
2efef72a6af437bd355a2f0a99d90554.jpg

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
You know what I never understood about their closed system hooks? All one has to do is take the factory hook off and put a shackle on. Boom, closed loop system, and the “hook” becomes an irrelevant component in the rigging

OP
OP
Westwind1124a

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
You know what I never understood about their closed system hooks? All one has to do is take the factory hook off and put a shackle on. Boom, closed loop system, and the “hook” becomes an irrelevant component in the rigging

yup, that works too. not sure if side loading the shackle on the loop may be a risk though? I really don't know

iuhh.jpg