Synthetic Motor Oil Poll 2017

What Synthetic Oil(s) Do You Use Most Often?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
So as the title states I thought it would be nice to have an updated synthetic motor oil poll here on Ramforum.

Amsoil XL or Signature Series
Castrol Edge or GTX Magnatec
Mobil 1 or Mobil 1 Advanced
Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra Platinum
Redline
Royal Purple
Schaeffer's
Quaker State Ultimate Durability
Valvoline Synpower
Walmart Supertech

Especially, if OTHER put it in the comments as only 10 choices are allowed.

I also made it so choices are public and more than one is allowed so people can see what others use specifically.

If you are using tapa-talk then load as webpage to vote in the poll!

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Is there a limit to the number?

Supertech.

other then that your list is good. Super tech is one of the most popular oils at bob's.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
There we go and then other will just have to be a comment!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Not fair smiley voted twice, lol. I guess you can vote twice, but I don't need to :)

robcope

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Help one more time?

I have no desire to participate in the type of garbage that is going on in the other synthetic oil thread. Everyone has an opinion and that is all I am looking for, not people trying to stir the pot. Sorry, but we are supposed to be adults and I have seen a lot of child like behavior. So, with that said....

We own a 2015 Town and Country with 24000 miles and a 2017 Ram with 1890 miles. The van has run on Valvoline Synpower 5w20 since purchase. No issues of any kind and the wife loves it. Valvoline Synpower is being used out of convenience, get the oil changed about a half mile from the house. Not to worried about this van because we will upgrade the wife to the Pacifica in a few years.

Until it was totaled, I drove a 2010 Kia Rio, Yep, a Kia rio. Ran Amsoil SS 5w20 for the almost eight years I drove it. I beat the crap out of that car and only changed the oil. Never an issue of any kind, well until my son totaled it.

Bought the Ram with the 5.7 HEMI a little over a month ago. Been driving it a lot lately because I love it. Once the new wears off, I will drive my government take home car Monday through Friday and mileage on the truck will calm down.

I am hoping to keep this truck for a long time. Yes, I have used and like Amsoil. I do NOT care what anyone thinks of that fact. I am not a fanboy of any particular oil. I just want to take good care of my RAM.

I do not want to spend more than $30.00 for a 5 quart jug of synthetic oil and will probably use the RP or Fram high end filters. I will use 5W20, I will not mix and have no desire to use additives.

What oil should I use and why? I do not have the tick, at least not yet lol. What ever oil I decide on will be used in the van and truck and the car my son has to buy in the next couple months.

Thanks, Rob

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If everything is running fine on both I wouldn't change a thing. I'm not a huge Valvoline guy simply because their oils have 0 moly but hey if your wifes Pentastar is happy on it, run it. For the truck, I would lean towards QSUD. Readily available and priced well. Also still contains 130 ppm of moly.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have no desire to participate in the type of garbage that is going on in the other synthetic oil thread. Everyone has an opinion and that is all I am looking for, not people trying to stir the pot. Sorry, but we are supposed to be adults and I have seen a lot of child like behavior. So, with that said....

We own a 2015 Town and Country with 24000 miles and a 2017 Ram with 1890 miles. The van has run on Valvoline Synpower 5w20 since purchase. No issues of any kind and the wife loves it. Valvoline Synpower is being used out of convenience, get the oil changed about a half mile from the house. Not to worried about this van because we will upgrade the wife to the Pacifica in a few years.

Until it was totaled, I drove a 2010 Kia Rio, Yep, a Kia rio. Ran Amsoil SS 5w20 for the almost eight years I drove it. I beat the crap out of that car and only changed the oil. Never an issue of any kind, well until my son totaled it.

Bought the Ram with the 5.7 HEMI a little over a month ago. Been driving it a lot lately because I love it. Once the new wears off, I will drive my government take home car Monday through Friday and mileage on the truck will calm down.

I am hoping to keep this truck for a long time. Yes, I have used and like Amsoil. I do NOT care what anyone thinks of that fact. I am not a fanboy of any particular oil. I just want to take good care of my RAM.

I do not want to spend more than $30.00 for a 5 quart jug of synthetic oil and will probably use the RP or Fram high end filters. I will use 5W20, I will not mix and have no desire to use additives.

What oil should I use and why? I do not have the tick, at least not yet lol. What ever oil I decide on will be used in the van and truck and the car my son has to buy in the next couple months.

Thanks, Rob

In the end if you don't want to spend too much money on oil and you want to stick to 5W 20 your choices are wide open but at the same time most all of the oils in the price range are going to be very similar. that is if you want to use one of the oils off the shelf. If you're OK with ordering something online there are more options like PUP.

Let me know if this is helpful or if you'd like me to elaborate more.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
why are amsoil xl and ss in the same catigory, 2 different oils.

OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
why are amsoil xl and ss in the same catigory, 2 different oils.

Agreed but I only had 10 spots so I basically grouped brands as I figured it would still give a good idea. Most Amsoil users will use SS I bet anyway but if you noticed I grouped other oils together so they are equally unfairly grouped.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agreed but I only had 10 spots so I basically grouped brands as I figured it would still give a good idea. Most Amsoil users will use SS I bet anyway but if you noticed I grouped other oils together so they are equally unfairly grouped.
yeah, i noticed that, just wanted t make sure my vote got to the right place.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I change my mind later can i change my vote?

robcope

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If everything is running fine on both I wouldn't change a thing. I'm not a huge Valvoline guy simply because their oils have 0 moly but hey if your wifes Pentastar is happy on it, run it. For the truck, I would lean towards QSUD. Readily available and priced well. Also still contains 130 ppm of moly.

Thank you, that is the kind of info I was looking for. I am thinking that I will give this a shot when I get the oil changed. I really don't want to use a moly additive, so this seems like a good plan for both the HEMI and the T&C.

Thanks again,

Rob

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Several guys have posted about PUP being on the shelf for X amount, where do they live, it's no where around here? I'd kinda like to try some but really don't want to play the Amazon game.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk