Front Axle Issue - Squealing / Grinding noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WalterG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have an issue with the right front axle / CV joint or hub. I drove the truck about 70 miles to a jobsite. When I left there and got onto the interstate, at about 45 I heard a squealing sound that had me wondering what the heck was going on. I was just running along trying to get the two miles to the next exit and hoping I didn't get run over since I was going about 50 on and 80 limit interstate. I ended up getting to about 60 or so and the sound went away. I didn't feel anything in the drive of the truck, so I continued on to the exit. When I got off and stopped, I looked under the front and found what appeared to be oil or some fluid all around the CV boot and suspension as well as up the fender well on the rear side (not as much on the front side).

I couldn't find anything that made me feel I couldn't make it the rest of the way home, so I drove it back to work. When I left work the sound is much more continuous and is somewhat a squeal / grinding sound. I am wondering if it may be a hub bearing, or maybe just the CV joint gone bad, maybe both.

I will see if I can get some pictures of the area and post them as soon as I can. I don't want to drive it anyplace so it may take some time before I can get them. Going out of town this weekend so I wont be around for a few days.

Anyone had similar issues or an idea of what might be the problem?

02 - 1500 QC Sport- 4x4 - 172000 miles - 20" wheels

Hooker52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l V8 Magnum
I just had a somewhat similar problem but mine was a deep grinding sound and ended up being the CV Stub Axle where it plugs into the Intermediate Shaft.

If there was liquid everywhere.....you may have torn your CV boot which would have sprayed the contents of oil thats in the boot...all over. This would cause loud squeaking and grinding if road grit was getting in there. Have you checked the boot for tears???

OP
OP
WalterG

WalterG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, I decided to take the truck to our mechanic to fix the problem, but as I drove it there, no noise at all. I thought maybe it was something that happened during the 60+ mile drive that I had gone on. The mechanic looked it over and couldn't find anything wrong.

So I decided to take it on a drive again and nothing happened. I did however get a couple of photos of the area and I was wondering if maybe the shock is blown out and that is what the fluid is. Maybe there was a rock in the brake guard that made the noise and I just found the fluid during the search of the noise.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 2014-11-21 17.21.54.jpg
    2014-11-21 17.21.54.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 146
  • 2014-11-21 17.22.30.jpg
    2014-11-21 17.22.30.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 975

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Really looks like your shocks are leaking... or they already have bleed to death...

Have you had an alignment done to the truck lately?

The reason I'm asking is because the outter tie rod end looks wet as well, and I am wondering if it is not penetrating lube on there the mechanic could have used to loosen things up during the service. Else check the rubber boots on your tie rod ends as well as they may be blowing grease out which would indicate they are getting close to their end of life.

OP
OP
WalterG

WalterG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
He didn't actually do anything to it other than check visually, pulling, pushing, twisting and listening. He couldn't find anything so he said to drive it and if the noise returns to take it back while the noise is happening so he can try to track it down.

I have a suspicion the shock is definitely shot and the fluid is blowing up onto the CV boot and being flung around onto the components around it. I was planning on getting it to a car wash and cleaning the area, changing the shocks, then see what happens from there.

Sent from my HTC One Max

OP
OP
WalterG

WalterG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the alignment checked a year ago when I put the tires on and it checked out good, that's not to say something isn't bad now, but I hope that it's just the shock causing the liquid and possibly just a rock that dislodged itself.

Sent from my HTC One Max

OP
OP
WalterG

WalterG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, I took got a set of shocks to replace the front ones. In the process of getting it done, the one on the right side twisted the stud off the top of the old shock, so I had to put a pipe wrench on the shock to hold it so I could get the nut off. Then the bottom bolt stripped out of the lower control arm

2014-11-28 18.01.35-1.jpg

The bolt has some bad threads on it, so I think that may have been part of the problem,

2014-11-28 18.03.18-1.jpg

I had the shocks replace quite a few years ago by the dealer. Not trying to say they may have caused the problem, but that is the only time that the shocks have been off other than now.

Anyway, what do you guys think, do I need to replace the lower arm, or should I try to helicoil the hole and go from there? I am leaning towards the helicoil if that would work, cause the lower arms are 150 each, and I would replace both because the come with ball joints and bushings.

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As a machinist in my opinion a helicoil would work. Check into a keensert and see if there is room to drill for it, a keensert is always better than a helicoil if there is room for it. Tap for keensert always costs less too and is usually a standard size.

OP
OP
WalterG

WalterG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I haven't heard about keensert, I will have to see if I can find a location for purchasing that. I imagine that the weekend is going to make it difficult to get what I need.

Sent from my HTC One Max

OP
OP
WalterG

WalterG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Got the shocks done! I went around today and found a couple of options for inserts. One is the helicoil and the other was a threaded insert that Fastenal has. The insert required a 13/16 drill and 7/8 tap, both of which were costly (upwards of 70 bucks). The helicoil only required a 9/16 drill and appropriate tap which are also costly (again in the 60-70 buck range), but would have fit much better with the available material around the hole. So I did a bit more checking, talked to my mechanic, found out that the lower A arm can be replaced for around 100 bucks, and checked with another fastener supplier, during which I had the thought of using a longer bolt to catch the threads that were left at the end of the hole.

So, $3.00 later the longer bolt is in and tightened up well and should do the job without any issues. I will keep an eye on it and make sure it stays good, but I think this should work until the ball joints wear out.