Front Differential cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Poncho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Was just wondering if anyone has ever removed their front differential cover. I have a 2012 ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.7 and have noticed the there are bolts on the front diff.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is your purpose for that? Curious. To see what it looks like or for taking it apart? There are a few videos of them being disassembled

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Was just wondering if anyone has ever removed their front differential cover. I have a 2012 ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.7 and have noticed the there are bolts on the front diff.

Have you ever changed the fluid?

OP
OP
P

Poncho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have searched 1000 of videos about fro t different and never found one that showed or talked about fro t diff covers. It was always they have to be changed as a whole. As for the reason I have a grinding noise and I think it's internal

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you tried removing your front driveshaft and rotating the pinion by hand?

Might have to remove the front wheels too. A lot of times a guy can 'feel' things by hand. Check the inner CV's. Rotate/inspect the driveshaft & U-joints. Might check the wheel bearings when it's off the ground, but before you've removed the wheels.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup. Generally if the front diff goes bad it gets swapped as a whole because up until very recently nobody has made replacement gears. so the only option was a new front diff. Now there is 1 company who makes replacement gears. Can you share a video if the noise? Could be bearings or the gears depending on the noise.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I have searched 1000 of videos about fro t different and never found one that showed or talked about fro t diff covers. It was always they have to be changed as a whole. As for the reason I have a grinding noise and I think it's internal

Check the output shaft to CV shaft connection. Moisture can get in the splines and rust. It can eventually strip out the splines of the half shaft.

I found a youtube video of it.

OP
OP
P

Poncho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've replaced cv axles, wheel bearing hubs, intermediate Shafts, nothing helps so that's why I believe it's internal