Front Differential Gear Oil for 2010 Dodge Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BranWC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 TRX4. It has over 200,000 miles on it. It runs great but the front differential leaks gear oil.

I’m no mechanic. Can’t do much beyond an oil change. So I took it to my mechanic. It’s leaking at the right front axle shaft extension housing seal. He said it wasn’t really worth fixing the leak. Just to make sure to top off the oil when it gets low. The sheet that he gave me says he used 75w-90 gear oil to top it off.

Now it’s low again. I checked the manual and it says to use 75w-140. Which one do I use? Also, would it hurt if he did add the 75w-90 and I add 75w-140? Would it be damaging to have them mixed? Thanks.

OP
OP
B

BranWC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I think I may have gotten it mixed up in my original post. Maybe the manual says 75w-90 for the front and 75w-140 for the rear? I’ll have to check…

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Axle seals literally take about an hour to do in your driveway. Change mechanic if he to lazy to change them out.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
75w85 or 75w90 is fine for the front. You have a mechanic that seams to not want to be a mechanic, find a different one. He doesnt have a lift? Then I'd feel a little better about that one, it is no fun to get under trucks, but if he has a lift and doesnt want to fix that dont go back.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That isnt an easy job due to what you have to take off to create play. But for things like this I prefer to go to les shuab or tire places, they tend to do grunt work for but an hour or two labor. I had three ttb suspensions, ask an independent to do any suspension work and the first thing that comes out of their mouth is a thousand and it usually goes up from there. For guys who know this I'd say you might get it for 2 hours labor. While there are down there, you mise well change the entire axle. Those axles from diff to wheel arent but 150 bucks or so.