Front Drive Shaft Issue 2004 1500 Crew Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vicki2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I purchased a 2004 1500 Crew Cab SLT Hemi for my son and it came with a 4" Fabtech lift and 20" wheels.

A week or so ago he went to back out of the driveway and there was a clicking sound....we discovered that the Front Drive Shaft had failed. If you are familiar, it's the standard shaft (from what I've learned) with the CV Joing/Bell Housing on the rear of the shaft.. Evidently the rubber boot went away and all of the grease in the joint also left....causing the bearings/joint to fail.

I called Dodge and they said that there is only one in the entire country for that make/model (I find that hard to believe) and it's $308. A used one from my local junkyard is $150.

Can someone with experience with Dodge and lifts help me out ? I forgot to mention that my friend that I purchased the truck from replaced the drive shaft in the year that he owned the truck so this is a recurring issue.

I'm trying to figure out if there is something causing this problem or if it is common. I appreciate any and all support.

Attachments

• Dalton and Big Red.jpg
    Dalton and Big Red.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 687

bigbadram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome.
Popped this over to the lifted section so our lifted members can help ya out quicker.

OP
OP
V

Vicki2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks...I did some searching but couldn't find an answer so I registered and posted for help.

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
1/2 SHAFT or driveshaft. I, ve changed them all and if you want the part to last buy the dodge one, however make sure your lift is not the cause. From what you describe its halfshaft and you get what you pay for as I went thru at least 4 of the cardones before I learned. The small driveshaft is very tough and I only changed mine for good measure after my gear install.

OP
OP
V

Vicki2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
03MopaRamman: Please tell me what to check to make sure the lift is not my cause ? Is the "front drive shaft" as I"m calling it technically called a cardone ?

Hemitom: What is a reman axle?

Silver Beast

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Reman axle is a remanufactured axle....I have a lift on my 1500 and unless you have it in four wheel...your front drive shaft shouldn't move...is it your half shaft that is clicking?

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Reman axle is a remanufactured axle....I have a lift on my 1500 and unless you have it in four wheel...your front drive shaft shouldn't move...is it your half shaft that is clicking?

The front drieveline will still spin when in 2wd because the front driveline is connected to the front axle. It disconnects on the transfer case side of the front driveline (when going from 4wd - 2wd).

Vicki2: CArdone is brand, manufacture/remanufacture.

Silver Beast

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
it spins freely...unless it is locked into the differential which only happens if it is in 4wd

NWRQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It spins freely along with the axle. Locking it into 4wd and putting power to the front wheels happens in the transfer case, not the differential.
I snapped my front driveline (at the transfer case u-joint) this past summer. I had a hell of a long drive (2 miles) back to camp because we couldn't remove the driveline completely (limited on tools, 12am + a stripped bolt). I spent 2 hours idling back with the driveline strapped to the crossmember to keep it from banging around under the truck.
If the front wheel are on the ground and the truck is in motion (2 or 4wd) the front driveline will spin on 3rd gens and newer.....unless you convert to manual hubs (or free spin).

Any progress Vicki2?

OP
OP
V

Vicki2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did get a drive shaft custom made with U joints at both ends instead of the bell housing at the end by the transfer case.

Now when I bolt it on I hear another noise coming from the front end.....possibly the differential. With no drive shaft installed...there is no noise... When the old shaft broke, could it have damaged the differential somehow ?