Front end and steering work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smwalser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After close inspection I have found that my lower ball joint boots are torn and I have a power steering fluid leak out of the passenger side of the steering rack. Since I have to take most of the front end loose to change out the lower ball joints and get to the rack should I go ahead and do upper ball joints and inner/outer tie rod ends? Or are those various parts separate enough to not fool with it. This would be my first time doing this type of work and need some opinions. Thanks,

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
Depends on when the rest of the work was done. If you don't know and can afford it, do it while its apart. Saves you from having to tear it down again and you'll know the life expectancy of them from that point. That way you don't do the work and a month down the road you need somethin else.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you're going into all that mess, I'd advise you buy a reman Rack n Pinon, replace all the balljoints and maybe get some poly control arm bushings while you're at it. Throw some new shocks on it too!

Being a 2005, I'm sure you've got near or more than 100k on em, and you'll have a notable improvement in ride / handling.

OP
OP
S

smwalser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I guess I left that off. It's got 140k miles on it.

OP
OP
S

smwalser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I'm curious, what's your recommendation for a good shock for towing? I have a bass boat that I pull regularly.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Upper ball joints are not necessary to remove to do the lowers, so that's all up to your willingness to do it.

Inner tie rod ends come installed on the new/reman rack. Outer tie rod ends have to be removed from the inners to change the rack, so its wise to go ahead and replace them at the same time.

Monroe reflexes or gas magnums seem to be shocks that do very well in these applications.