Replaced Front-End and Leveled. Alignment Next

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
About a month ago, I noticed that my steering wheel was "Choppy" returning to center. After further inspection, I just had normal wear on everything, so I replaced it all this weekend. New Dynatrac ball joints, wheel bearings, steering linkage with tie-rod ends and draglink, axle u-joints and lastly, leveled the truck with new taller springs and added Bilstein shocks all the way around. Everything went smoothly except for the axle u-joints. They were a cuss fight to get them out. I see folks using a ball joint press to take them out, but I had to use a 60K lb. press to get mine out. Everyone says use the Thuren Specs for alignment, so I've printed them and taking them with me today for the alignment. What am I missing before I get the alignment this afternoon?IMG_3470.JPGIMG_3472.JPGIMG_3476.JPGIMG_3482.JPGIMG_3484.JPG

zrock

Reaction score
should never use a press for ujoints to easy to bend the ears. I have had some severely stubborn ujoints in my old fords to get out and a BJ press and a few wracks with a hammer was always enough to free them up. Sometimes they needed several treatments of lube and heat to get them to break free and they were tight right to the end.

OP
OP
TMyers

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
should never use a press for ujoints to easy to bend the ears. I have had some severely stubborn ujoints in my old fords to get out and a BJ press and a few wracks with a hammer was always enough to free them up. Sometimes they needed several treatments of lube and heat to get them to break free and they were tight right to the end.
I had the same thoughts about bending the ears but thankfully the new clips went in without issue so nothing bent. I didn't have access to heat but next time I'll be better prepared. Nothing was bad rusted, just seized in place.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Yes for using Thuren Specs for alignment, be a wear some place may not want to use those specs, so check with the shop ahead of time

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Can't be tight if they're liquid.... I don't even try to remove them the way your supposed to, everything is always rust welded in place. I torch out the center and air hammer the caps out of the ears one at a time. I suck at torching and so that is by far the longest part, still only takes 15-20min to have it fully removed.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Press is not ideal. Recently replaced 30 year old original u joints on two Jeeps. Caps were on tight so attempted to use a press. snapped two caps in the process. This job is for sure the least fun with front axel work.

Everything looks good! can't wait to see the finished product.

OP
OP
TMyers

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Press is not ideal. Recently replaced 30 year old original u joints on two Jeeps. Caps were on tight so attempted to use a press. snapped two caps in the process. This job is for sure the least fun with front axel work.

Everything looks good! can't wait to see the finished product.
IMG_3486.JPG