fuel gage problem, or worse?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firsthagar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello forum. Just bought a Dodge this week, used 2003, 119,000 miles, 4 door, 4x4 offroad package, 4.7 liter. Nice to be driving a dodge again, my last dodge was a '74 short bed power wagon, loved that thing. I love this one too, but just got my first bell and check engine light. Fuel gage went to empty even though I had just filled up with in the hour and check engine light came on. Happened to be close to the local Autozone so pulled over and got the code reader. Came up with a code for "fuel sending unit high voltage" or something to that effect. Reset the codes and went on my way as it didn't seem to be something catastrophic that would harm the vehicle. A couple of miles down the road, it happened again, ding **** bell and the fuel gage was on e again (even though I have a full tank). Drove it on home, turned it off, restarted and the fuel gage functioning again but check engine light still lit as I do not have a reader to reset codes. It sounds like the sending unit for the gage is reading high voltage, maybe because the tank is full...so, questions for anyone who might answer:

1) Is this indicative of a looming issue like the fuel pump going out soon? I have to take a trip this weekend and want to drive this truck, so can live with the gage not working as long as I don't get stranded on the road.

2) Do you think it may stop malfunctioning once the fuel level is lowered a bit?

Thanks in advance, and I did a search first but did not come up with anything for this issue.

Thanks,
Firsthagar

P.S. I did post this on another forum but no answers there yet.