Gas Tank - Range

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FriedDumpling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
According to my build sheet mu RAM 1500 has the upgraded size gas tank, 32 gallons. When full my range is about 522 miles averaging 17-18 mpg.

Wondering what y’all are showing as a full tank range.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j517

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
they lie look at tfl video

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
They're rough estimates... Mine tells me I have around the same range... with a normal-sized tank and a 6-cyl Pentastar.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Usually pretty close to 600 with the 26 gallon diesel tank, even with the lower fuel economy during the winter months.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Your averaging 24 mpg? That seems crazy. What do you switch to solar power?

Depending on how much I drive on the freeway, I'm usually in the 22-26 range. The cold weather/winter blend fuel city driving will keep that on the lower side. I've traveled almost 500 miles on one tank while towing an 8K lbs trailer half of that distance (delivered the trailer 120 miles away, went back several days later to pick it up). No solar cells required
There are some guys(on a different EcoDiesel forum) that do lots of freeway driving in warmer climates the that break the 700 mile DTE range.

Cordwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lonestar Hemi 5.7, 4x4, 8speed, 3.21, LSD, 32gal fuel tank, CC short bed
The range is all over the place on mine. 32 gallon tank my first fill up said 250 mile range. The vehicle also states empty at about 24 gallons, I started keeping track of miles and using way past empty up to 31.5 gallons. And now the range shows around 450 when I fill it up.

The real world range on mine is about max 370 with the 32 gallon tank since my real gas milage is in the 11.x mpg range.

So now fill up = 450 range on computer.
Truck says empty after about 280 miles.
I drive till about 360 miles with the gauge incorrectly telling me I'm empty and disabling the remote start.

Then I fill up around 31 gallons.

But using most of the gas tank has changed the computer range quite a bit... It was very wrong either way though. I'm also pretty much all city driving, no highway

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Reb owner here with the 32-gallon tank...Cordwood's description sounds similar to mine. Our trucks are little different (I have a 3.92 LSD rear end), but all the other vitals are the same.

I have not had the "fix" that comes with the U07 AutoPark recall (I declined that goofy service), so my fuel gauge, like many others here, still has plenty of range when it reads "E." So much so that on a recent trip to Florida, I actually put 33 gallons in my tank. I was stunned as that must've meant I was running on fumes! Granted, I was testing the system to see how many miles I could get out of a tank, but I'll never do that again...too close for comfort.

TXCOMT

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The 32 gallon tank is the only option that I originally wanted, but never got, or was able to add. I’ve gotten over not having it. The reason is simply because I have to pee long before I run out of gas. 17X24=408. So I can easily go over 400 miles. It takes me aprox 6 hours to drive that.

Cordwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lonestar Hemi 5.7, 4x4, 8speed, 3.21, LSD, 32gal fuel tank, CC short bed
Reb owner here with the 32-gallon tank...Cordwood's description sounds similar to mine. Our trucks are little different (I have a 3.92 LSD rear end), but all the other vitals are the same.

I have not had the "fix" that comes with the U07 AutoPark recall (I declined that goofy service), so my fuel gauge, like many others here, still has plenty of range when it reads "E." So much so that on a recent trip to Florida, I actually put 33 gallons in my tank. I was stunned as that must've meant I was running on fumes! Granted, I was testing the system to see how many miles I could get out of a tank, but I'll never do that again...too close for comfort.

TXCOMT

The fix did not fix it for a lot of us anyway. U05 autopark

sickman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the 32 gallon tank too. I average around 12 mpg around town with not much highway driving on a regular basis. It is annoying that the gage will read empty with the DTE around 30 miles when I fill up and only get about 25 gallons in the tank. I've seen the DTE as high as 424 and as low as 360. I seem to get about 360- city miles out of it but still have at most put in 28 gallons when filling up. I've had the autopark recall done too and had no idea it was also supposed to address the fuel gage issue. If it was it didn't for me.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree with what RLJ10X said earlier. I have a 32 gallon tank and the range says about 500 and some change. On the other hand, my bladder says that's way to far, you need to stop before that(but I'm an old fart). In the real world, pee breaks come lots sooner than gas fill ups. Especially if your wife's with you.
Jay

kiloRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have 32 gallon tank and 6.4 engine.

When I fill up, DTE says approx 440 miles. In reality, I get about 325 before DTE goes to 0 with typically 5 to 7 gallons left in the tank. It is either a design flaw or defect in my opinion.

Unfortunately, if I drive to what the 32 gallon tank should allow me to do (which is why I ordered the option) and ignore DTE/gage, I'll end up walking at some point. I'm dissatisfied with this. BTW, my old RAM with 26 gallon tank was able to go same distance on a tank before it showed empty. I paid extra on the new truck for this. (I know, I'm grumpy).

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The fix did not fix it for a lot of us anyway. U05 autopark

If helped a little bit on my 2017 Ram 1500. If I drive until the low fuel level indication comes on, I can get ~27 gallons into the 32g tank. Before the "update", it was closer to 25g.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Your averaging 24 mpg? That seems crazy. What do you switch to solar power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's got the Ecodiesel engine (diesels tend to have better mileage, and combined mpg for his truck should be quite a bit higher - at least 26+ ). I average 24mpg myself when empty, but I only have a 3.6L 6-cyl. engine.

Out of the three motors, the Hemi gives the highest absolute tow ratings, but overall the lowest mpg. Hope that helps a bit.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
He's got the Ecodiesel engine (diesels tend to have better mileage, and combined mpg for his truck should be quite a bit higher - at least 26+ ).
If I slowed down on when I drove(it only looks like an old man is driving the truck with a cap on the back) and drove on the freeway more, my fuel mpg#s would be up there.