Gas tank spits gas at me.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hexster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have a 2006 ram 1500 mega cab 4x4. Had the fuel pump replaced. Mechanic drops tank and replaces fuel pump. Now I go to fill the tank and gas backs up, shutting off the pump at the gas station. Gas won't flow freely to the tank Any ideas what's going on?

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
If you're breather vent is plugged, it'll do that. I'm not sure where it is on your truck. Also, check to make sure there isn't a kink in the fill tube.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
+1
What JohnnyMac said. Both are possibilities. Gas flow is being rejected either from pressure or an occlusion. If it happens immediately, I'd go with occlusion in filler tube.

Spoonsize

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Occlusion would be my guess. I found out the hard way my newer Jeep has some kind of antitheft device at the connection of the tank and fill tube. Long story but I unknowingly accidentally dropped a gob of cured silicone in the fill tube. It took forever to fill the tank and just as long to figure out why. Simple matter of crawling around on the cold hard ground to remove the fill tube and the “gobstopper”.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Thanks for reminding me! I've had this issue for a year now but it's only on my mind while at the pump. I'm going to set an alarm for when I get off work. It's such a pain to fill the tank

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have a 2006 ram 1500 mega cab 4x4. Had the fuel pump replaced. Mechanic drops tank and replaces fuel pump. Now I go to fill the tank and gas backs up, shutting off the pump at the gas station. Gas won't flow freely to the tank Any ideas what's going on?

I went through the same thing on a04 crew cab replaced all the evap crap still no help also it was dead of winter my truck at the pump would kick off the gas from the pump handle with like every 12 cents took almost 25 mins. to fill my truck one time the owner of a gas station thought I was doing something bad because it was so long in filling he came out to see what I was doing but anyway I had to replace the fuel tank 325 bucks. PS also changed the gas cap 2 times