Regular vs Premium Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

svanarts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Hey guys,
I'm new to diesel engines and fuel so forgive me if this is a stupid question. I know that after you've been doing something for years it starts to seem like people ask the same questions over and over but I did search for the answer before posting... honest!

So I was hunting around for good diesel prices on the WEX Fuel Price Map. I noticed you could search for Regular Diesel or Premium diesel. Uh.... what's the difference? What makes it premium? Do they just add Hot Shots Secret into the fuel for you?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-17 200643.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-17 200643.png
    177.3 KB · Views: 6

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I'm not up on what what they call Premium diesel in the state of CA as they have there own requirements for Cetane minimums that others states do not have. Not sure if its still 100% accurate but standard #2 diesel (outside of CA) the Cetane is around 40-42 up to 45 when blended with bio, where Premium diesel ( no bio mixed in) would have a minimum of 50 Cetane up to as much as 60-65, the higher the Cetane the cleaner the fuel burns, you can see better mpg, bit more power, less carbon build up on injector tip & piston tops. True Premium diesel is not boosted with additives it refined to have higher cetane ( or so I was told), but then that was some 12 years ago, that was the last time I saw real premium diesel being sold at an Exxon truck stop in MT...

Edit: here is Cenex benefits of what premium diesel is good for. https://www.cenex.com/about/cenex-i...t-maintenance-and-efficiencies/premium-diesel

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't think I've ever stopped somewhere that sold premium diesel. Everything around my area is just plain old #2 diesel.