Getting Key made

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ventrman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Diesel
I had someone steal my truck and lose the keys. He is trying to get it back to me. Is there anyway to get a key that works short of calling a locksmith? It is a 2006 2500 cummins diesel mega cab.

LaramieLoneStar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dealership can make a key from your vin number. I’ve had to do it with another truck before. Hopefully your key didn’t have a chip in it, those can be pricey

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
First off, why did you have someone steal your truck? Second, I think your key is chipped, my 05 is. If your key is chipped, don't try starting your truck with a non-chip key-all kinds of bad things will happen, least of which, your truck will not start. You can google your vin # and find out what type of key you have. You'll need to know that before you can do anything else.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Your 06 WILL have a chipped key. Don't cheap out with a generic key, unless you like locking your PCM and having to pay a dealer even more. If you can't wait for the key to get back to you and I'm guessing you don't have the spare key the truck was built with, then go to the dealer and get the right one. While you're at it, get two like you're supposed to have.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500