Got a weird thing happenin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Decided to go out n grab a pizza...Truck work great normally....I could hear the odd sound as it idled..Almost as if there is some gurgleing..Now this just happened and its almost 8:30pm my time...
At 1st i thought it was coolant circulateing getting rid of a small air pocket or something..
When looking at the engine it seems to be from passengerside of engine....At the same time when i put it in park it automatically shut off...At 1st i thought i did..Went in got my pizza ,drove home,backed into my spot as normal and into park and she just shut off on her own......
Before i start diggin tomorrow,any thoughts??

No warning lights,temps and psi is all good...

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Just in case it's a head gasket,i'd pull 1 plug out of each cylinder before trying to start it in the morning.Have the wife or somebody spin it over while you watch for any moisture being pushed out the holes.Not saying it's your issue but if it was gurgling and shut itself down,i'd be mighty cautious starting it in the morning.You can buy kits from most auto parts stores for checking for combustion gases in the coolant .If you do pull a plug from each cylinder,it'd be a good time to do a compression test while your at it.
If you don't have a compression tester,Crappy Tire carries them,i think they still have their Need a tool / Loan a tool program if you don't want to buy one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
craigsez

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just in case it's a head gasket,i'd pull 1 plug out of each cylinder before trying to start it in the morning.Have the wife or somebody spin it over while you watch for any moisture being pushed out the holes.Not saying it's your issue but if it was gurgling and shut itself down,i'd be mighty cautious starting it in the morning.You can buy kits from most auto parts stores for checking for combustion gases in the coolant .If you do pull a plug from each cylinder,it'd be a good time to do a compression test while your at it.
If you don't have a compression tester,Crappy Tire carries them,i think they still have their Need a tool / Loan a tool program if you don't want to buy one.

Naw i dont think its a head gasket...Its startin to have a bit of a grind type sound..Its so low that i really gotta listen without stereo/heater goin. ....Ill get my crowbar out tomorrow and get a better idea of where its commin from....Like to have one of them stethoscopes at somepoint...I aint stickin my head near it while running

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Naw i dont think its a head gasket...Its startin to have a bit of a grind type sound..Its so low that i really gotta listen without stereo/heater goin. ....Ill get my crowbar out tomorrow and get a better idea of where its commin from....Like to have one of them stethoscopes at somepoint...I aint stickin my head near it while running
Your local Crappy Tire should have them.

OP
OP
craigsez

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Now that i can hear it better its not a gurgle more of a grind/crunch...It was just so hard to hear but i could hear it....Now im thinkin the belt tensioner pully is on its way out....I grabbed a stethoscope late yesterday,see if i can pin point it....

When it comes to engine shutting off on its own,only thing i can think of is that i did it and not realized i did it....Not done it sence and no pop up codes..
Ill wait till morning....Dont wanna wake up my tenant downstairs with me doin lil revs to hear better at 5:30am...

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hard to say what it is at this point.

Throttle Bore - You might look inside your truck's throttle bore. If there's any carbon/gas deposits at ALL, in the bore or on the throttle blade, that could contribute to it dying. Clean the area with some throttle body cleaner and a solvent-safe *soft* brush (not a metal brush). Be sure to clean the backside of the throttle blade real well too, and upper portion of the throttle bore. This is normal maintenance that needs to be done every few yrs, and often overlooked. Make sure you get the rubber snorkel boot back on the TB perfectly when your're finished, w/o any of the rubber folding over.

PCV - Also be worth checking your PCV hose for any cracks, etc. PCV valves are often overlooked and can cause some problems too. Watch a Y/T video how to test. It's simple. Look everything over, make sure no other hoses on the engine are cracked or fallen off. Sometimes they do. Inspect the wires. In case a rodent has been munching on something..

Hand-Test Pulley Bearings - It would be a good idea to loosen and partially remove the drive belt and hand-test your idler pulleys and other pulleys by hand. Including the AC compressor AND the water pump. Feel for roughness or any catching. A real dry whirl is a sign the bearings might be on their last legs. A failing idler pulley can definitely make a crunching noise as the bearings are failing. Compressor clutch bearings can fail. Best not to let a pulley bearing completely fail. That can lead to more expensive problems. Don't forget to inspect your truck's power steering pump pulley for smoothness, if it's a Ram 2500 ....and check the fluid level and smell the fluid for burt-ness (if applicable).

Water Pump - Your water pump could be on it's way out. They can make a crunching noise AND a coolant gurgling noise that you described. Feel the bearings for tightness/smoothness. Get a flashlight and look "up" from the bottom and see if you can see any coolant leaking out of the weep hole on the 'underside' of your waterpump's neck. If it's wet or moist at ALL, then your water pump seal has failed or beginning to fail, and the rest will soon crap out. Water pumps are fail items...they live their life, then they die. If you can't see up from the bottom, try using a small inspection mirror to spot any wetness. And of course, if the W/P bearing feels rough at all, that's your problem.

Good luck. If none of these ideas above show promise, Might be time to take it to your mechanic ...unless that's you.. LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
craigsez

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got the ole stethoscope out....Holy crap what a tool that is....Now i know why doctors use it so much....
Its the belt tensioner pully....Cpl times the tip of the scope bounce outta where i was reaching and touched other stuff and the noise made me jump like i was gettin shocked lol..

Man oh man what a great lil tool for finding noisey stuff....

Attachments

• 20231115_172957.jpg
    20231115_172957.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 15

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Be careful ...wouldn't want your ears to get ripped off! o_O LOL

Sounds like a quick find ...easy fix. Good for you :waytogo:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Got the ole stethoscope out....Holy crap what a tool that is....Now i know why doctors use it so much....
Its the belt tensioner pully....Cpl times the tip of the scope bounce outta where i was reaching and touched other stuff and the noise made me jump like i was gettin shocked lol..

Man oh man what a great lil tool for finding noisey stuff....

Did you pick it up from Crappy Tire

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have had a automotive stethoscope for many years ..
But i first grab a cut off broom handle, that is about 40 inches long.
i put one end against the possible source of the noise & the other end, i cup in my hand using my thumb & a finger to protect my ear. Works like a stethoscope, without all the stretching.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i put one end against the possible source of the noise & the other end, i cup in my hand using my thumb & a finger to protect my ear. Works like a stethoscope, without all the stretching.

I've occasionally used a short broom handle with a bottomless plastic bottle taped to the end.

The neighbors across the street could hear the idler pulley sing'in.

Much easier to keep things away from the moving parts while you're watching too. :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
craigsez

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you pick it up from Crappy Tire

Actually i was passing a place called advance auto...Grabbed a scope and a liter of dextron 2 for my big trucks power steering....A hair over $40 for both....Crappy tire was my intended stop but advanced was rite on my way home from the dentist..

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep ...a guy's got to be real prudent when ya start working around rotating assemblies. I hesitate to recommend that to people who might be dufuses and really hurt themselves (not this OP, ...but speaking in general terms).

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I have a stethoscope at home and they work great, but for impromptu use, a long screw driver or a long 3/8" extension works great and transmits sound better than wood does.