Got Warm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04RAM_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
My 04 has the 4.7 with the 5M tranny. It's my commuter for work. I drive 57 miles each way, five days a week. I bought the truck right about a month ago and it's been great. However, yesterday after pulling a long hill in mid 80's temperature, it got a little warm by the time I got to the top. It's possible it's done this before and I didn't notice, but I don't think so. Anyway, going back down it cooled right back down to where it normally runs, so no big deal. A few miles down the road on level ground cruising about 65 mph it started getting warm again. It never overheated or anything, but I don't like it randomly getting warm like that. The gauge was showing about 3/4 to hot. I got to work, let it cool down, and checked fluids. Everything is full, but it looks like it has straight water in it and no antifreeze.

When I got off work at 4:45am and drove the 57 miles back home it functioned perfectly. It didn't try to get warm at all. Tomorrow (Saturday), I'm going to flush it out, change the thermostat, and fill with coolant instead of water. That should take care of it. I think.

The radiator looks like it's original to the truck, but perfect looking in every way from the outside.

Any thoughts on something else I should look at while I'm at it? Breakdowns suck, and I don't want to deal with that happening

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check your fan clutch it may be shot and like you mentioned flush cooolant tstat water pump ect.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If your current water is full of rust/gunk then a flush could be beneficial, but water it better at cooling than coolant (anti freeze) is. Looks like you are in Kalifornia, if you are in a place that doesn't freeze I would consider sticking with water given your heat issues.

Otherwise you seem to be on the right track.

OP
OP
04RAM_3

04RAM_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Well crap. Did all the flush and put in a new thermostat. Water pump looks new, and the fan clutch is working as it should. Still getting warm. I'm thinking I may have to put a radiator in it