Grinding Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ilarson007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Powertech 4.7L V8
I am going to try and be as descriptive as I can be with this noise to see if anyone knows what it is.

So my truck, 04 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, short bed, 2WD, 5 speed manual, 4.7L V8. I have a bad grinding noise, and it happens only when the truck is decelerating. So, when I am cruising or accelerating, there is no noise, but when I let off the throttle, I get a grinding noise. The noise is independent of what gear I am in, although I am not 100% sure if it happens in neutral or not (I think it does). It is also independent of the clutch being engaged or disengaged. My thoughts are some internal transmission bearing, or the drive shaft carrier bearing. What does everyone think?

OP
OP
I

ilarson007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Powertech 4.7L V8
Or potentially the rear differential resonating noise through the drive shaft to the middle of the truck? It sounds like it is coming from under the middle of the truck.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Sounds like my situation, I believe that it's excessive play in the ring a pinion and they are grinding against each other.