Grinding/rubbing in front end...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BIGE1123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2015 Ram 1500 w/ 47k on the odometer (bought new)
Over the past day I've noticed a grinding/rubbing sound coming from the front end. Would it be safe to say its my brake pads? I got a picture of the outside pad on each side and there seems to be quite a bit left (no idea what the inside pad looks like)
The sound can be heard at low speed almost sounding like a warped rotor, and gets constant when the pedal is depressed.
Hoping brake pads or the slide pins hanging up and dragging a pad.....but worried it may be a hub/bearing....

Attachments

• PXL_20230629_000535367.jpg
    PXL_20230629_000535367.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20230629_113101769.jpg
    PXL_20230629_113101769.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 18
OP
OP
BIGE1123

BIGE1123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
*edit*
After taking one of my guys from work for a ride and letting him listen, it more sounds like whatever noise is coming from the underside, midway back (pass compartment area but underneath).....
damn, this isn't looking/sounding good

OP
OP
BIGE1123

BIGE1123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Might have it narrowed down to a ebrake shoe hanging up?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, that stuff gets sticky/rusty back there after a while .. if not use regularly. I hardly ever use my emergency brakes. Who knows if they'd retract if I engaged them far from home :banghead: LOL.

Usually once ya get the rear rotors removed, a guy can clean & lube up the sliding surfaces and ensure the adjuster moves ok. Then work the e-brake system back/fourth a bunch of times till it ultimately retracts freely. Or take it to a brake shop if brakes aren't your thing. Pretty standard repair. OTOH, you might get lucky and maybe it's just a stone caught between the pad and the rotor.

Also, one other thing: ensure the rear pads are free. Where stainless slider sleeves are used, rust can develop underneath the stainless pieces. Rust raises the stainless sliders and can *pinch* the pads so tight, they can't move. When that happens, they can't retract either. The inner pad is often the worst. In fact sometimes they get so tight ya have to pound them free. And you're definitely in the rust zone. The fix is to file away any rust build-up with a file. And of course, make sure the caliper moves in/out freely on it's sliding pins.

So, while you (or whoever) is in there looking at the emergency brakes, ensure the pads are not pinched and calipers move freely also.

Good luck. :waytogo:

Last edited:

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
and definitely look at the inside pads on the front where you took your photo. if the exterior looks like that (rust dusty pads and rust lined blued disc) I bet you the inside is at half the thickness or less of the outside pad that we see!
ever had any service done?