Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's

Discussion in 'Lifted' started by brandonjansen, Jul 22, 2015.

1. TheDonVon

TheDonVon Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    This is a very informative thread. Thank you very much. One question I have, and i have been searching around but it doesn't seem to ever get mentioned. Everyone mentions running a 1/4" spacer for those looking for a "level" and larger tires to avoid rubbing, but what if someone wants to run a larger spacer, say a 1.5" with stock rims and a level? (Lets assume Bills at 2.1 or 2.8 since they seem most popular and standard 35x12.5 not the extra wide tires) Would this cause the need for trimming or cause other rubbing because it is bumping the wheels out further than the 1/4"?

2. brandonjansen

brandonjansen Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
    Engine:
    6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
    They will rub the sway bar at full lock but will clear everything else. I recommend Motorsport Tech's 10mm (3/8") hub centric spacers.

3. brandonjansen

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    A 1.5" spacer essentially makes the stock wheels 20x9 -19 offset. So fitment would be the same as someone running an aftermarket rim with those wheel specs. With a -12 offset you would likely already rub the back of the inner fender plastic. At -24 offset trimming the pinch weld will likely be necessary. So you'd be in between the two. Typically I recommend 1" or 1.25" (essentially -6 or -12 offset) for a leveled truck with stock wheels and 35's. Keeps the amount of trimming to a minimum if any.

4. Jrock0311

Jrock0311 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 V8
    Brandon, Thank you for the extremely detailed and thorough thread. All of your posts I've seen on the forums have been easy to understand an very informative. I've been getting some conflicting information on my setup question so I'll hit you with it if you don't mind.

I have a 2014 Ram 1500 4X4. I currently have a factory 2" rake, and I would like to preserve .5" - 1" of that. I recently purchased a Zone 6" lift with 5" rear coils, adjustable Billstein 5100's for the front that I would like to set at 2.1-2.8", and Fox 2.0 shocks (BDS# 98224796) for the rear since I wanted to upgrade from the standard rears that come with the kit, and the Zone Heavy Duty UCA.

My questions is, in order to preserve the desired rake, do you anticipate me needing the rear coil lift spacers? Mathematically it makes sense that I would need at least 1.5" - 2" extra in the rear, but I didn't know if I was missing something or not.

With that being said, I'm looking at the 2" rear coil lift spacers from Top Gun Customz, and other than the noise that you mentioned, is there any other concern that I need to be aware of in regard to maintaining a 1" rake after its all said and done? Considering the Fox shocks are designed for a 6" lift kit, will they support the extra distance from the spacers as well or do I need to get a different shock? Are there any parts that you think I'm lacking to pull this off?

Thanks again, I truly appreciate the help.

5. brandonjansen

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Yes, to preserve the 0.5"-1" of rake while setting the Bilsteins at 2.1" or 2.8" you will need a rear coil spacer. To do the math, the Zone strut spacer provides 4.875" of lift. So with the Bilsteins at 2.1" you'd end up with a total of 6.975" of lift (call it 7.0"). With the 5" rear coils that would have your truck sitting dead level. So you'd be looking at either a 0.75" or 1.0" rear spacer in that application. With Bilsteins at 2.8" you'd end up with a total of 7.675" and would be sitting nose high by 0.675". This would require a 1.25"-1.75" rear spacer.

As far as the rear shocks go you typically don't want to lift any more than 1.5" of what the shock is designed for. Anything more than that and you are taking it out of it's designed operating range. They don't perform quite as well there and run the risk of either over-extending or bottoming out depending on what way you've gone (over-extending in your application). That will blow them out in no time if it's happening constantly. You could look at longer shocks as an alternative depending on how much you want to lift.

You won't be missing any parts with that setup but keep in mind a few things will happen due to the additional rear lift that not all guys are aware of. First, the control arms will be at a slightly steeper angle which will lead to a slightly rougher ride and pull the rear diff slightly forward in the wheel well. Nothing really to be concerned about, just letting you know that's what happens. Second, the track bar drop bracket is only designed for the 5" of rear lift. Any additional lift on top of that essentially makes the track bar too short for the setup. This will pull the rear diff off to one side of the truck (I believe the passenger side on the 1500's if I recall correctly). Again, not a big worry... just be aware that it will be shifted off to one side by 0.5"-1".

One thing I will ask though is what is your reason for wanting to retain the 0.5"-1" of rake? If I'm being completely honest, the higher you go with a lift the more you want it to sit dead level. You can get away with rake on lower lifts (leveling kits or 4") but when we're talking up to 7"-8" of lift my personal opinion is that rake wrecks the look of the truck. My recommendation would be sticking with a max of 0.5" of rake to keep everything looking correct.

Jrock0311 and R.L.K. like this.
  6. R.L.K.

R.L.K. Supporting Member

Ram Year:
    2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I'd just like to 2nd one thing Jrock0311 has said above

" all of Brandon's post have been easy to understand and Very informative "
    I could not agree more !

brandonjansen and Jrock0311 like this.
  7. Jrock0311

Jrock0311 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 V8
    Brandon, this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about :favorites13: . Thank you for clearing things up for me! To answer your question, I was wanting to maintain a degree of rake/elevation for 2 reasons. 1. I don't know if I will be towing anything in the future or not, likely not, but I wanted to keep from sagging if I did. 2. I purchased 37x12.50x20 tires and was wanting to give them every bit of clearance they might need. According to Zones website, they will work without rubbing, but the techs said they COULD rub some.

Judging from what you're saying though, I could end up running into some issues down the road if I go with the 2" rear spacer and bills at 2.8. I plan on keeping this rig for a long time so longevity is a big concern for me. I'll likely just stay at 2.1 and keep the 5" coils in the rear without the spacers. Thanks again, and once this is all done in a few weeks I'll throw up some pics. I'd be happy to have your take on it!

brandonjansen likes this.
  8. xrsman

xrsman Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    3.0 Ecodiesel
    Great write up man! Mods should make this a sticky

SitKneelBend and brandonjansen like this.
  9. brandonjansen

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    If you're not towing often I honestly wouldn't worry about a little sag. It doesn't hurt anything. You could get a set of Airlift 1000's or TLC bags to help out with that issue if you are concerned. My truck sits dead level unloaded so it sags a couple inches when hooked up to our 28' race trailer all loaded up. That's fairly common with lifted trucks that don't have rear air suspension/assist.

[​IMG]

What wheels are you planning to run? You shouldn't have any issues clearing the 37x12.5's unless you're planning to run quite a wide stance.
    Ya I'd recommend sticking with the Bilsteins at 2.1" and not touching the rear. I think you'll be most happy with that setup and I don't think you'll have any issues fitment wise (I can confirm if you let me know your wheel specs).

10. Jrock0311

Jrock0311 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 V8
    Great looking rig man! I don't even own anything to tow currently so I'll just address the concern in the future if it does become an issue then. I appreciate all of the sound advice. I picked out some 20x9 ProComp wheels. They have a 0 offset which should allow for the 5" of backspacing that Zone says is required for their kit.