Gutted Cat - Fuel Mileage went... somewhere 1996 4x4 5.9L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BambiB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
My catalytic converter clogged, so I gutted it (cut the side out, smashed up the honeycomb, pulled all the pieces out, welded it shut). The truck runs pretty well, but now I'm getting 6mpg. I used to get 10mpg with the cracked cat. (I didn't know the rattle was a broken cat, so drove it that way for a long time before one day I hit a hard bump, the cat clogged and the engine wouldn't run.)

I had read that the upstream sensor may go bad with a bad cat, so I replaced it. No "check engine" light. No OBD codes. Just 6mpg.

Some (in a much less knowledgeable forum) have suggested that the cat's back pressure is vital to engine performance/mileage, but other posts I've read here seem to suggest that it really makes little difference - and in fact should slightly improve performance. Performance DOES seem to be improved (acceleration) - but then, I don't know how long the cat has been a problem, so it may not be a fair comparison.

One other relevant factor: I changed tires just before the cat clogged. The truck had oversized tires when I got it (not monster truck size, but just big enough that when you cranked the steering wheel they'd rub the frame), and I replaced them with a recommended size. Since mileage is recorded as a function of the number of revolutions, I would not have been surprised to see mileage appear to increase with smaller tires. I have not yet done a GPS/measured course versus odometer comparison, but I would expect it to show I'm actually getting less than 6mpg.

Do you Dodge Detectives have any suggestions where the extra 4mpg went?

Thanks in advance for your saged advice!

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Going from oversized tires back to stock size increased your RPM but I'll bet your truck feels like it has more power now. If the truck was re-geared for the oversized tires and you have gone back to stock size you are turning much higher RPM now killing you MPG.

OP
OP
B

BambiB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
I guess the next step is to drive it, record:

1) Indicated speed,
2) Tach reading, and,
3) Actual GPS speed-over-ground

and feed those back here. I have no idea what the gearing is - and it may well have been changed before I got it.

Any idea what "normal" numbers are for say, 20/50 mph?

Last edited: