guys I need your insight please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tservice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 02 4.7 is acting up on me. When cold I have to babysit it to keep it running. Once it is warmed up, it will keep running. There is no codes at all. I changed the plugs within the last 5k miles. I am at a loss on this one. It acts like when you battery is really dead, and you jump it off and have to babysit it to keep it going until the battery catches up.
Thanks guys

talon6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 QCSB 4X4
Engine
supercharged 5.9
dirty tb? tb sensor?

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would also likely point towards a Throttle Position Sensor or IAC (assuming it has one?)

OP
OP
T

tservice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As far as I know the tb has never been cleaned. The old girl has 259k miles. I will clean it, and check the tp and iac. Is there a write up on properly cleaning the tp? I found one for a hemi, but not for a 4.7
Thanks for all your help. I will let you know if it solves the problem.

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah check the tps and iac, you can clean the throttle body but it probably wont help all that well. Cleaning it is just about the same except remove the tps and iac so you dont mess them up.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't believe that you can really 'test' an IAC other than to assure that the coil still has resistance. IE see if there is resistance across a pair of the terminals. If not the coil might have broken, and thus it wouldn't actuate.

Do the 4.7s even have an IAC? I truly don't know, never touched one!

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can't really "test" an AIC. The AIC is basically a stepper motor, and moves to certain steps based on the signal sent to it. If you can replicate the OEM signal, you can test it. But, since it is difficult to replicate the OEM signal, it's hard to test.

You can clean it up, clean up the TB real good, and see what happens.

Otherwise, just replace it.

OP
OP
T

tservice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I removed the tb, and cleaned it (it was nasty). Cleaned the iac. It seems to idling properly now. I checked my oil while I was there. ummm there was none. :( I just changed the oil 3k miles ago. it was only a qrt low then. I have no leaks so I guess maybe it is burning it. Although I do not notice any signs of it. It has 259k miles. Is there a oil additive that will help me get more miles out of her? Thanks guys for all our help!

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What viscosity oil are you running now? Are you still running the OEM recommended viscosity of 5W30? If I were you, I would run Castrol GTX High Mileage in a 10W40 viscosity, see how it does on that. I would also step it up to a Wix or NAPA Gold oil filter too.

OP
OP
T

tservice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5w 30 is what I run in it. Would lucas be a good thing to run in it? Next oil change I will use wix.

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine burns oil too, I stepped up to 10w40 but didnt notice a difference, it till burned it. This time im running 10w40 and some additive thats supposed to prevent oil from getting past the rings and burning. I just changed it not too long ago so im not sure if its helped yet

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Working for an oil company, I am not too keen on aftermarket additives in most cases. I would first try the high mileage oil, as it has a more robust additive package that helps with oil burning and sheer in worn engines. If that doesn't work, I would add a quart of Lucus...if that doesnt work, then it might be time to step to a single viscosity oil, but mind you, most of them dont have detergents.

OP
OP
T

tservice

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks once again guys. My dad said the oil loss could be coming from the plastic intake, internally. He said I would need to check the vacuum to test it. Is that possible with these trucks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertDenmon