Had truck towed front wheels down

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by Becker11, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Becker11

Becker11 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I had my 2016 ram 1500 towed to a nearby shop to have some repairs done on the engine. Tow driver brought it in on a standard rig with the front wheels rotating on the ground. Looks like it was in 4wd auto for the approximately 10 mile trip. The first trip was done on a flatbed so I assumed they would do the same to get me to the shop. Long story short. When I got the truck back today, I kept getting some messages about the 4wd system overheating during normal winter driving. Could the driver have damaged my transfer case or transmission?

2. Ionicbrick

Ionicbrick Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Yes. He should have towed it with the transmission and the transfer case both in neutral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Becker11

Becker11 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Yeah. When I shut it down before the first tow, it was in 4 lock to get myself out of a field. I didn't take it out of 4 because it was going on a flatbed. When they delivered it to mechanic, it was probably still in 4 lock or 4 auto.

Do you think it would have only damaged the t-case or more? Going to call dealership and have service look at it so I can talk to towing company about their damage policy

4. BossHogg

BossHogg Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.7L Cummins
    The way I understand it (from the owners' manual), on the 1500s in four wheel auto, only the front axle is engaged, the transfer case drive shaft isn't engaged until a slip condition is detected. Four wheel lock, the transfer case, and front axle are engaged.

I can't see how four wheel auto could do any damage, not understanding the transfer case internals and its relation to the transmission output, you would need to consult with an expert on the BW transfer case.

5. Ionicbrick

Ionicbrick Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    Like I said, it's very possible they damaged it. If it was locked it could have damaged the front axle, transfer case, and possibly the transmission. You should definitely get it checked out.

6. DannyMK2

DannyMK2 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015 Power Wagon
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    i tend to agree with this. not 100% sure how these particular auto trasfer cases function, but there are quite a few part time 4x4 and awd vehicles out there that can be towed on a wheel lift without damage as long as you grab it from the back. this could all be coincidental.

with that said if your getting warning lights, take it to the dealer. play stupid. see what they tell you. if its a 2016 it should all be covered under warranty.

7. Ionicbrick

Ionicbrick Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    It is not safe to tow 4WD or AWD vehicles with any wheels touching the ground. Here are some captures from our owners manual for MY 2015. Hopefully the truck driver did not damage it as the warranty claim will be easier. If he did damage it it won't be covered and you'll have to go after the company...[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. Ionicbrick

Ionicbrick Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    In any case I'd like to know what goes on when you take it in...

9. Ratket

Ratket Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2014 2500
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    ^ Please keep us posted

10. 14RAM4X4

14RAM4X4 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015 RAM 2500 4x4
    Engine:
    6.4L Hemi
    Best suggestion, you tell the dealership you were driving in 4-auto and the light started coming on. You could tell them you slid off the road due to the snow/ice. I would NOT tell them about the tow truck other than they towed it on a flat bed.

If the dealership/Chrysler can get out of a warranty claim, they will blame whoever they can to do it.

Ratket likes this.