Hard start 2011 Ram 2500 Cummins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RickBeirman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hello everyone, I’m new here and am having an issue with my 2011 Ram 2500 with the 6.7 Cummins. When I go to start it it turns over at least 5-6 seconds before starting sometimes it’s 10 seconds. When it starts sometimes it runs very rough and smokes. But it always has a delayed start. Thanks in advance for any help. Also it has right at 200k on it if that matters.

Last edited:

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Assuming the batteries are good and it is cranking at a normal speed, I would start with the fuel system. Delayed start is often due to fuel not getting into the engine.

Filters changed lately? Any obvious leaks or seepage? Did this just start happening or has it slow become worse? Buy fuel a sketchy place?

OP
OP
R

RickBeirman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just changed the fuel filter. It was doing it before and is still doing it. I buy Fuel at the same place for the most part but always at a busy fuel station. It started about a month ago and has continually gotten worse. I haven’t seen any fuel leaks or seepage anywhere.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Next step would be to start checking fuel pressures. If the in tank fuel pump is original that might be on its way out.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Does it smoke only at start up after sitting for a while, could be leaking injectors or cp3 pump, have you checked the air filter, for trouble Codes?

OP
OP
R

RickBeirman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It smokes and runs rough usually on first start up. Then every other start up is a very long start time. It has a new fuel filter and a new air filter. It has a check engine light on. It’s been on for several years since it’s been deleted and has an edge tuner with a 5 selector knob for the tune. But it’s always ran great until about a month or less ago.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
It smokes and runs rough usually on first start up. Then every other start up is a very long start time. It has a new fuel filter and a new air filter. It has a check engine light on. It’s been on for several years since it’s been deleted and has an edge tuner with a 5 selector knob for the tune. But it’s always ran great until about a month or less ago.
How much time has passed from the initial start-up to the next troublesome start-up? Is there a recognizable pattern there?

If nothing has changed then the most likely is dirty fuel injectors, followed by fuel delivery problems, then low fuel pressure at the injectors.

OP
OP
R

RickBeirman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sometimes it can be an hour in between starts and sometimes it can be 5 minutes on the shorter times in between it still delays just not as long. The only constant is there is always a delay of some sort.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
A CEL aka a code was set several years and you didn't bother to check it out? Programmers aka tuners can be hard on the fuel system if you have limited knowledge, would not be surprised to hear your injectors need to be rebuilt and or other fuel system problems...

OP
OP
R

RickBeirman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The truck belonged to my fiancées deceased husband. It was put on before he got it and when he was diagnosed with ALS from his military service he was not able to get it checked out. The truck doesn’t get driven a whole lot. I’m honestly just trying to get it back up in shape for his boys as they don’t want it to just fall to pieces. And yes I do have limited knowledge on this hence why I am asking for help on it.

Truckmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check your fuel lines could be losing prime, it’s sucking air when not running
It will not leak fuel will give extended crank.

Truckmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
should start with the fuel system, make sure it is not loosing the prime, check the lift pump making sure it’s working, if laptop is available check fuel pressure with key on to see what the fuel pressure is.