Hard Water Stains

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slowbro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright, so this is probably the most annoying problem I've had in the past year of owning my 3rd gen QCSB. Evidently, whoever had the truck before me was not concerned about sprinklers because the ENTIRE truck was covered in hard water stains. The dealer did a half decent job removing the spots from the paint (although I had to detail the truck myself to really get the swirls THEY left out, but that's another story), but the windows have proved to be resilient suckers. I've tried home remedies using vinegar, 2 or 3 big brand hard water stain removers, and even an acid based water spot remover formulated for paint. None of them have been able to clear up my glass, so I'm really interested to see if anyone has any other solutions to this problem!
Here's the level of damage, as seen on the rear passenger door.
Aszlpdt.jpg
And a bonus shot of the truck when it's actually clean. Albeit, not under the best light conditions to show off that pretty black finish.
L5CR8lr.jpg

RAtmosphere

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 3500 Dually
Engine
5.9 Cummins - 12,800 original miles
Had them almost that bad on my daily driver 2008 Tacoma and I got rid of them with my Porter Cable 7424 polisher, some orange Lake Country 4" foam pads (orange Lake Country pads have alot of cutting power), I used a good cutting polish (I use Shine Supply but there are many brands out there)...and most important.....PATIENCE. Im WAY OCD so I put about 30 minutes of polishing on the side glass and back glass, and a little more time on the windshield. Got them ALL out except for the very edges of the glass about 1/8" as the pad couldnt quite get that.

OP
OP
Slowbro

Slowbro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had them almost that bad on my daily driver 2008 Tacoma and I got rid of them with my Porter Cable 7424 polisher, some orange Lake Country 4" foam pads (orange Lake Country pads have alot of cutting power), I used a good cutting polish (I use Shine Supply but there are many brands out there)...and most important.....PATIENCE. Im WAY OCD so I put about 30 minutes of polishing on the side glass and back glass, and a little more time on the windshield. Got them ALL out except for the very edges of the glass about 1/8" as the pad couldnt quite get that.

I guess stepping up to machine based cleaning is what I'm going to have to do. Any particular cutting polish by Shine Supply/others that you think would work well? I've got a whole slew of cutting pads so no issues there.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you tried to clay bar the windows?
Jay

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Steel wool is the secret to clean this.. I lived in Fla while I was detailing professionally and at dealerships and sprinklers would cover new cars in ground water. Steel wool on the windows with lots of window cleaner, don't push to hard just go back and forth like clay bar, once you feel it move freely go to next spot

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can also try 0000 steel wool.

Use it with a little soapy water as a lubricant and don't push down real hard and you won't scratch the glass. Work in small sections and check your work if worried.

Don't use it on the mirror glass as it is not as hard as the windows glass.

RAtmosphere's option sounds about the best if you have the equipment.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Get some muratic acid from a paint shop or hardware store. Dilute at first using 3 parts of water to one part of acid. Try to buy the low fume variety of acid. Dip a cotton towel in the mixture and rub it on the glass. Let it dwell for a minute or two and then rewipe with the towel. The acid should disolve the calcium and the secret is to let it dwell for a while. You can mix it one to one in extreme cases. I used this method at my detail shop for years with great results. Rinse with clean fresh water as last step. Be sure that you wear rubber gloves.

RAtmosphere

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 3500 Dually
Engine
Shine Supplys "Classic Cut" is what I used. BUt like I said, there are other options from very good companies, I just chose Shine Supply it seemed the best for my needs...

OP
OP
Slowbro

Slowbro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Shine Supplys "Classic Cut" is what I used. BUt like I said, there are other options from very good companies, I just chose Shine Supply it seemed the best for my needs...

Gotcha, I'm going to try some Meguiar's M105 Mirror Glaze Ultra Cut and see what that does for me. Hopefully I won't have to chase it with a polishing compound! I'm waiting on new orange cutting pads but this weekend I'll see what I can do with the old DA.

RAtmosphere

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 3500 Dually
Engine
That cutting polish should do the trick, as I didnt have to go back over with any other finishing polish after. I just put my Wolfgang 2.0 sealant on it along with the paint. It may take a little longer, but I think you will like the results.

OP
OP
Slowbro

Slowbro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
O.R.T., Ammo definitely makes good videos and usually Larry is specific about what products he uses but that isn't the case for his severe water stain/calcium deposit video. Anyway, I finally had some time to take the DA out with orange Lake Country cutting pads and Meguiar's m105 cutting compound. I put down a tape line for sweet, sweet side by side comparison action and I have to say I'm quite happy with the results. I need to get a smaller diameter pad to get into the corners better but overall this has been a great solution.
7fn99yx.jpg
Both sides of the glass are "clean" and dry in that photo.

RAtmosphere

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 3500 Dually
Engine
Told ya so! LOL...looks great! I trust DA and cutting polish over chemicals or steel wool any day! :)