HAS ACCESSORY POWER WILL NOT TURN OVER

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason Reese

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ok new to the RAM world. Here we go! Went to the store came out went to turn truck on and nothing except accessory power. Power locks, windows, radios, lights (interior and exterior) all work. Slight click when you try and turn it over the first time. I immediately went and bought a $200 battery (that was crazy) . Same issue!!! I have been doing some reading about the same issue. I have tried taking the negative side of the terminal off for hours to see if computers reset itself but no dice. I have gone to the fuse block in the engine compartment and made sure all relays and fuses were seated properly. Had it towed to the house. Tried to put it in neutral and turn it over that didn't work either. The put it back in park. NOW it wont go into drive reverse neutral or anything. So from what I'm reading it could be the (Wireless Control Module) or what people has been calling the WIM. Is there a way to bench test this before dropping $300 on this part and having to spend another $100 to get the key reprogrammed? All the forums I was looking at were from 2008-2011. Surely someone has figured this demon problem out by 2017. PLEASE HELP! Thanks guys!

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check your negative cable coming off the battery. Make sure it's getting a good ground.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Maybe replace battery cables. I know sounds odd, but may not have enough juice to starter.

jvbuttex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I-6
if the starter relay is not engaging, or getting the signal it wont turn over, and yet you will have power for other accessories. Remember, the ACC powers everything else, and the start only sends power to the starter solenoid. Also with the advent of touch and go starting, there is a relay in the middle that acts to send the power to the starter then stop after it starts.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With a multimeter at the starter verify good ground at the starter while trying to crank and while not attempting to crank , also veck for voltage and voltage drop both while attempting to crank & not .
Then work your way back to the battery on the starter solenoid & power relay in the same manner and you should find the faulty part , if not see if the ground cable is getting warm / hot to the touch , if so repair ground attachment or replace the cables as they are likely corroded internally...
Hope this helps !

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^good advice from those guys. Just had pretty much the exact same thing happen about a month ago. Turned out the grounding strap on the starter had corroded off.

OP
OP
J

Jason Reese

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks guys I’ll test out the starter and relays! I’ll keep you posted! Just trying to rule out if it’s the ignition or not. Seems like if it is it will be costly and another tow to the dealer to get key reprogrammed

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Thanks guys I’ll test out the starter and relays! I’ll keep you posted! Just trying to rule out if it’s the ignition or not. Seems like if it is it will be costly and another tow to the dealer to get key reprogrammed
If you end up needing key fob programmed let me know by pm, should be able to save you some money even though I'm about 50 miles from you.
Dealer charges $60 to program plus the tow.