Has anyone found a fix for rain sense wipers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tizzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2019 2500 Laramie. Rain sensing wipers when activated and set on intermittent will single wipe (dry) at start up and randomly, and rather frequently wipe when zero water is present. They activate mostly when it rains, but it just seems “off” and late to wipe or keep wiping. Others have reported same symptoms.
One person claimed their dealer fixed it but didn’t post what the fix was.
I’ve replaced the gel pack, the module, and a 2nd gel pack. I’ve gone through Alpha and checked as much as I could, and it seems in order from what others have posted.
Anyone figure it out yet?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Does AlfaOBD have an option to calibrate the windshield rain sensor?

OP
OP
T

Tizzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you check the settings in Uconnect?
In uconnect, it’s either on or off. It’s set to on and exhibits the malfunctioning characteristics listed above. When set to off it works like a conventional intermittent wiper.

OP
OP
T

Tizzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does AlfaOBD have an option to calibrate the windshield rain
“Failed. The ECU has detected that the request contains parameters with values outside allowable range.”

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My solution was to shut them off. My 18 Ram 2500 had that and the first time they kicked on, I turned them off. One of the first things I did with my 22 also. I run RainX so rarely need the wipers.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I keep my wipers turned off on the stalk until it starts to rain, then turn them on. The auto wipers only work if the stalk is set to any "on" position. I noted at night it would occasionally give me a dry swipe and figured it was bugs or something (the flying smear kind, not the software kind).

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Mine seem to be working fine. I do same as Doc posted above. When it rains. I turn them "On" Just one click. They auto adjust based on the rain.

Very long time ago, I had GM car, the wipers would turn all by themselves. It was so annoying.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The auto wipers only work if the stalk is set to any "on" position.
That was not the case with my 18 2500 Laramie. They would auto activate with the wipers in the off position. I assume my 22 Ltd Longhorn would be the same way, but I shut that feature off before leaving the dealers lot.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
That was not the case with my 18 2500 Laramie. They would auto activate with the wipers in the off position. I assume my 22 Ltd Longhorn would be the same way, but I shut that feature off before leaving the dealers lot.

Maybe something was wrong with your '18, because you can definitely turn it off. Several of us in the thread have said it works for us, and this is per the owner's manual.

Rotate the end of the multifunction lever to one of five detent positions to activate this feature.

I checked a 2018 manual and it states the same.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'll have to look into it. My manual says similar, but I can't think what they are talking about. If they are saying the wipers don't work manually, which they should if you have the switch for them turned on, when auto is enabled, my 18 didn't fit this mold. I think the rotating wiper switch only has 3 "on" positions, intermittent, normal and high. Not 5. This does not make sense to me.

The manual also acknowledges that RainX messes it all up, so I wouldn't use it anyway. RainX is far, far superior to auto wiper, in my experience.

Use of Rain-X or products containing wax or silicone
may reduce Rain Sensing performance.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I'll have to look into it. My manual says similar, but I can't think what they are talking about. If they are saying the wipers don't work manually, which they should if you have the switch for them turned on, when auto is enabled, my 18 didn't fit this mold. I think the rotating wiper switch only has 3 "on" positions, intermittent, normal and high. Not 5. This does not make sense to me.

The manual also acknowledges that RainX messes it all up, so I wouldn't use it anyway. RainX is far, far superior to auto wiper, in my experience.

Use of Rain-X or products containing wax or silicone
may reduce Rain Sensing performance.

There's multiple intermittent positions. I've never seen a car that only had one "intermittent" position. They always have a range to control the delay between swipes. Some cars have positive clicks, some just free spin until you get into the constant on/lo. It's talking about those 5 positions, the various delays in the intermittent range.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
There's multiple intermittent positions. I've never seen a car that only had one "intermittent" position. They always have a range to control the delay between swipes. Some cars have positive clicks, some just free spin until you get into the constant on/lo. It's talking about those 5 positions, the various delays in the intermittent range.
Even if that is correct, how could this make sense? You're saying if Auto Wipers are enabled, you're screwed if you want to use intermittent wipers manually (for what ever reason).

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Even if that is correct, how could this make sense? You're saying if Auto Wipers are enabled, you're screwed if you want to use intermittent wipers manually (for what ever reason).

If you don't get it at this point I'd suggest reading your manual.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you don't get it at this point I'd suggest reading your manual.
I did, that's what caused the confusion. But whatever, I wouldn't turn it back on anyway, given the way it worked in my 18 2500. RainX is a far better solution.

EDIT: I drove the truck today (does not happen every day, or even every week). I rotated the int wiper control slowly and it does indeed have detents. I never paid that close attention to it and thought was just a rotary control with no detents. So I get what they're saying now, but I still would not use Auto Wipers, as turning it on disables my control over using the int wipers manually. Plus I just don't need it.

May have been something wrong with my 18 2500 also. The one time they triggered in some rain (before I disabled it), the control was in the off position.

Last edited:

Bdichiara

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 19 and noticed that I get a service message when using them if my air conditioner is on Auto. If it’s on recirculate the the rain sensing works perfectly. Not sure if this helps

ramjam65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The auto wiper function operates poorly on my 2020 Ram 1500 limited, and so does the adaptive cruise control and the lane assist. I didn't really know that until my wife bought a new 2023 Kia Sportage with all those features and they perform flawlessly on her vehicle compared to my Ram. Maybe they'll come out with fixes on them in the future, but I'm not holding my breath as the better technology will more than likely go into new model vehicles.

TimboRam77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did one side of my windshield with rainx and the other with paste wax. Same result and same length of effectiveness. Follow the science is the science I prove myself. Has anyone else tried this test?
Results may vary.
Void where prohibited
Not approved in the Mxxxxxx state of CA or the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Please laugh at this point...

attaboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I turned the damn thing off (Settings) when I discovered that they also dimmed the dash and radio lighting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357