Rain sensing wipers gel pack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tizzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On start up I get a single wipe from the wipers and intermittent, random, phantom wipes driving in dry conditions. I’ve read here it is a bad or improperly installed gel pack. One other place I read of a guy cleaning his with water an reinstalling it and it fixed the problem. Is that possible? I haven’t taken mine apart yet and planned on ordering one before I tore into it, but then I read that.

OP
OP
T

Tizzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I took the trim apart to check the possibility of “cleaning” the gel pack. That’s a no. I removed the clip that holds the sensor in place and gently pried the sensor away from the windshield. Observing many bubbles and a few fingerprints in the gel pack I definitely need a new one. Whomever installed this one definitely screwed it up.

OP
OP
T

Tizzy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Removed sensor, removed old gel pack from sensor, cleaned the residual gel pack off sensor and windshield, installed new gelpack and reconnected the wires and it still exhibits same symptoms.
Tomorrow night I’ll run the calibration with Alpha, but I’m not expecting much. If that doesn’t work I’ll order another new gelpack and a new sensor. More to come…