Have 6" and 35s wanting to go bigger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DohCanadian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey, so I have a 2013 Ram 1500, I got it lifted last year with a 6" RCX and 295/65R20 Trail Grapplers.

I just got the summer tires put back on this year and I'm thinking I want to go higher. What's the best way to fit 37s under the truck without having to trim anything? Bilsteins? 3" body lift? Do I need anything more for the rear?

Also I only have 3.55s on the truck and really don't want to regear (I also pull a camper) is it worth it for me to go bigger or should I shatter this dream? (At this point mpg don't matter)

Thanks

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Bils will clear 37's as for gears lot of that depends on tire weight and rim weight. I had 35/12.5r17 mud graps and Rock star rims that weight 120 together and now I have nitto tral graps 37x12.5r20 and fuel nuts that weight 105 so for me the weight will make up for the size

Thatdude596

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 ram big horn
Engine
Hemi
37's on 20's without any nods is going to put a ton of stress on that tranny. Add in pulling a camper and your chances of failure have gone up. A 37x13.50x20 will typically weigh aeound 95-100 lbs per tire plus rim. The bigger the offset typically will be a heavier eim with all things equal. There's a few guys running this setup but they also have some more and tuners. For what they spent your better off imo changing the gears.

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You can get 37x12.50r20 **** cpek fun country's that weight 71 pounds. 37 mud graps only weigh 87 I belive

Thatdude596

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 ram big horn
Engine
Hemi
Just looked the cepeks are 85 lbs a pop, see they are 12.50 wide compared to most 13.50 wide

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
What does your camper weigh? With 3.55's you won't be towing much with 37's... You gotta remember that towing capacity is greatly reduced when going to a larger, heavier tire without regearing.

As far as fitment goes, what are your rim specs? That plays into fitment just as much as lift height does. If your stance is narrow you can fit 37's on a standard 6" lift. With a wide stance you can't.... So we need a little more info here before we can give you any solid answers.

OP
OP
DohCanadian

DohCanadian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As far as tires go I wouldn't be going to an aggressive mud grappler, I'll stick with something lighter. And if I can stay in that 12.5 wide range would be great too.

My camper weighs around 4300 lbs dry I believe. So not too heavy but it's up there.

And my current rim are 20x9 I believe. Thing is to I don't really like the stuffed look so I'd like to be able to clear the 37s with lots of room and not "just" clear.

Also gears are really low on the list seeing as I have the 13 ram, so changing all that out with a new front diff and everything will set me back close to 3 or 4 grand.

draken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Ive been battling that question for awhile to. Thinking of going to a all terrain tire rather then my toyo m/ts which are pretty heavy tires. I have 18" rims though so that could make a difference. If you do go the 37 route i suggest you get a diablo tunner if you don't currently have it..

Also throw some pictures of your truck!

sbuko213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
As far as tires go I wouldn't be going to an aggressive mud grappler, I'll stick with something lighter. And if I can stay in that 12.5 wide range would be great too.

My camper weighs around 4300 lbs dry I believe. So not too heavy but it's up there.

And my current rim are 20x9 I believe. Thing is to I don't really like the stuffed look so I'd like to be able to clear the 37s with lots of room and not "just" clear.

Also gears are really low on the list seeing as I have the 13 ram, so changing all that out with a new front diff and everything will set me back close to 3 or 4 grand.

Supposedly they aren't welded. There was a thread on it. Whether it's true or not is another story though, but it sounds promising.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So you're probably around 5500 lbs or so loaded. Do you have the 8 speed tranny? That will definitely help you out. If that is the case you definitely can get away with 37's... you're just going to feel the truck being a lot more sluggish when towing.

What's the offset of your wheels? That's the key item.
If you want to clear them with lots of room you'll need Bilsteins at 2.8" and want to add a rear spacer to level out the truck again. Otherwise it will be nose high. A body lift is an option I'm just not a fan of them so I don't recommend them.

Changing gears on a '13 is definitely in the $3000-$3500 range... not a cheap thing to do but if you plan on staying lifted on 37's it's totally worth it. Going to 4.56's in my truck with my 37's made a HUGE difference in the driveability of it. Not to mention it's much easier on the drivetrain.

OP
OP
DohCanadian

DohCanadian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive been battling that question for awhile to. Thinking of going to a all terrain tire rather then my toyo m/ts which are pretty heavy tires. I have 18" rims though so that could make a difference. If you do go the 37 route i suggest you get a diablo tunner if you don't currently have it..

Also throw some pictures of your truck!

Yeah, I do want a Diablo bad, but I'm gonna hold off on a tuner till warranty is gone, truck only has 30,*** KM on it. Just don't want to risk anything happening and the dealer giving me a hard time.

Supposedly they aren't welded. There was a thread on it. Whether it's true or not is another story though, but it sounds promising.

I think that's just for the late 14's/15s? I think I'm screwed for the easy fix as a 2013.

So you're probably around 5500 lbs or so loaded. Do you have the 8 speed tranny? That will definitely help you out. If that is the case you definitely can get away with 37's... you're just going to feel the truck being a lot more sluggish when towing.

What's the offset of your wheels? That's the key item.
If you want to clear them with lots of room you'll need Bilsteins at 2.8" and want to add a rear spacer to level out the truck again. Otherwise it will be nose high. A body lift is an option I'm just not a fan of them so I don't recommend them.

Changing gears on a '13 is definitely in the $3000-$3500 range... not a cheap thing to do but if you plan on staying lifted on 37's it's totally worth it. Going to 4.56's in my truck with my 37's made a HUGE difference in the driveability of it. Not to mention it's much easier on the drivetrain.

I can't remember my offset. I want to say 0 or -12. But don't hold me on that. And I think this summer I was going to add Bilsteins for sure, get that front level. And I agree, I'm not a huge fan of body lifts either, it would be a last resort.

I have heard gears is one of the biggest changes you can do, I'm just trying to stay away from it for the price tag. It's almost worth staying 35's just so I don't have to throw another 5 grand at the truck with everything (37s, bilsteins, gears, labor)

And here's the truck in question.

9je6Hhj.jpg

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you look on the backside of the wheel it should state the offset on one of the spokes. You'll probably have to take the wheel right off the truck to see it. With a 0 offset you'll have an easier time clearing the 37's with little lift. Setting the Bilsteins at 1.4" to level out the lift will clear them no problem. If they're -12 offset then you'll probably want to bump up the Bilsteins to 2.1" just to make sure you don't have any issues. You could run them at 1.4" but it may require a little bit of trimming.

If I was you I'd probably stick with the 35's.... as you said, it becomes a big expense to go to 37's and still keep the truck useable. If the trucks working for you now I'd leave well enough alone. It still looks good with the 35's.

Ox69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Not to jack the tread but I've got 35" tires now I want 37" I've got 20x10 rims w/ -24 off set. Bils are maxed. Will I need a body lift? When turning I got about 1" to spare before I rub the bumper. Also I took the spacer out that came w/ the lift when I installed the 5100's is that correct? I measure 44" at front wheel and it don't seem hight enough. Or it's just me lol

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Should be close because 35 + 2 is 37 haha hard math but anyways that 2 inches will be one inch each way. Get what I'm saying? So unless you go wider tire wise you should clear. But 44 seems low to me to I'm 40.5 at the front with just bils

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not to jack the tread but I've got 35" tires now I want 37" I've got 20x10 rims w/ -24 off set. Bils are maxed. Will I need a body lift? When turning I got about 1" to spare before I rub the bumper. Also I took the spacer out that came w/ the lift when I installed the 5100's is that correct? I measure 44" at front wheel and it don't seem hight enough. Or it's just me lol

You should be taller than 44" on the front end with the Bilsteins maxed. 45"-45.5" is more typical for that size lift on 35's. Are you sure your Bilsteins were installed at the max setting? If they were and no rear spacers added your truck should be sitting nose high with the Bilsteins at 2.8".

Fitment wise you will rub running 37's even with the Bilsteins set at 2.8" because of the width/offset of your wheels. You could do a slight amount of trimming to clear them or add a 1.25" body lift to clear them.