January 2018 wanting to upgrade to 2019 vertical infotainment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MichaelsRAM1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 January
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi Folks, just got here and looking forward to check a lot of threads on this forum. I own a Ram1500 sport of january 2018, I love it from top to bottom, with 1 exception. I've got the layer issue on the infotainment. I've read that this could be a huge pain in using the infotainment, fortunately this hasn't been the case for me, yet. But I was looking at replacing the screen, which is quite expensive. I see a lot of aftermarket China screens available, I don't really like the idea of installing that. I do love the vertical screen from the 2019 models, it seems to me that the bracket is exactly the same, my hope is that somebody here has any idea if this will fit, because if I have to spend around 1500 quite, I might as well save up some more to upgrade to the newer vertical screen, if that is possible, maybe with some changes, does anyone here have any advice or experience on this install?

Attachments

• IMG_8034.JPG
    IMG_8034.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 5

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hi Folks, just got here and looking forward to check a lot of threads on this forum. I own a Ram1500 sport of january 2018, I love it from top to bottom, with 1 exception. I've got the layer issue on the infotainment. I've read that this could be a huge pain in using the infotainment, fortunately this hasn't been the case for me, yet. But I was looking at replacing the screen, which is quite expensive. I see a lot of aftermarket China screens available, I don't really like the idea of installing that. I do love the vertical screen from the 2019 models, it seems to me that the bracket is exactly the same, my hope is that somebody here has any idea if this will fit, because if I have to spend around 1500 quite, I might as well save up some more to upgrade to the newer vertical screen, if that is possible, maybe with some changes, does anyone here have any advice or experience on this install?
Prices have dropped dramatically on screens, an SL02 screen can be had for about $140 but may require additional active and/or passive cooling modifications to prevent the delamination. a revised SL03 part which is supposed to not have delamination issues can be purchased for $250.

OP
OP
M

MichaelsRAM1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 January
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, I've checked Youtube but I can't find anyone building in the new 2019 12 inch screen in a 2018 model. Might be my search capacity , I'll check out the pricing like you mentioned SitKneelBend. Quite the difference in price indeed, I've been looking at https://infotainment.com/shop/inter...-wireless-apple-carplay-android-auto-upgrade/ this unit just for reference.
Check with M2 Mods in the vendor section of the home page. He’s the resident upgrade expert and he sells the needed equipment to make many upgrades possible. An upgrade from a 8.4 to the new 12 inch screen seems like an expensive stretch as you’re not only using the new expensive head unit but would need to change the bezel along with all the functionality switches you presently have below your current 8.4 radio. It could probably be done but I’d imagine the expense will be great. Sitkneelbend has a great cooling upgrade for the 8.4 radio screen that can be found on this forum. My 2018 radio delaminated like your picture shows. At some point it will start giving you problems with phantom touches and the inability to use the radio controls. I have the SL02 screen on my radio two years now without issue so the upgraded screens do work and are your least expensive repair route. Some folks have actually repaired their damaged screens by removing the failed adhesive from their original screen but it appears to be a messy endeavor that requires more patience than I possess and easy to mess up.

OP
OP
M

MichaelsRAM1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 January
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's for sure expensive endeavor, but I really do love my truck, so I'm willing to save up to pull it to 2024, on the interior front ;-) Thanks for the advice on M2 Mods, will definitely check them out! I can say I posses many things, but the patience for re-laminating screens is definitely not one of them

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It's for sure expensive endeavor, but I really do love my truck, so I'm willing to save up to pull it to 2024, on the interior front ;-) Thanks for the advice on M2 Mods, will definitely check them out! I can say I posses many things, but the patience for re-laminating screens is definitely not one of them
If you are lookin into trying to fit a 12", it has been done but all DIY...

OP
OP
M

MichaelsRAM1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 January
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are lookin into trying to fit a 12", it has been done but all DIY...

Thanks for the thread, gonna read up on this!

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just to clarify, you can replace your damaged screen for less than $300. It does not require “re-laminating” your old one. Replacement screens are fairly easy to install. It takes longer to get the radio out of the vehicle than it does the actual screen swap.