Have an endoscope or a hand? Need a favor..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
So I was wondering why the air pressure wasn’t as forcefully strong from the passenger front window defrost vent vs the drivers side.

Anyone can notice the difference with their hand.

So everyone seems to say need to have dealership take a look, but scared to have them rip the whole dash apart right now..

One interesting thing I heard was maybe it’s that way so the force is stronger to clear drivers side and windshield first..which I guess could make sense.

Now I put an endoscope inside and below you can see the red circled obstruction. Then the other picture is the drivers side which looks like a normal vent inside as I’d think the passenger side should look like as well...

Soooo..I’m curious if anyone could hand test this or maybe even endoscope it if you have one laying around? Ha.. it’s 40” inside..

Thanks...

3dab4d1fc8cec931a06c1e845c2aac3f.jpg

1d55c8fa21400b807051e4864722409b.jpg

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Making the drivers defrost faster does make sense. Also they do have to restrict the passenger side because the fan is on that side. Anybody with forced air heating knows in your home the rooms closest to the furnace get hottest and you need to adjust the vents to even things out. Since there are no adjustable vents on defrost engineers would have done tuning to duct work to make it flow as desired. That said do you have climate control and are both sides set to the same temp?

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I turned mine on high and it felt the same on both sides

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
BWL
That is a good point blower is near the feet! You know that’s an interesting point as well.

JBL
Thanks for checking. I can feel the drivers side almost a foot away but the passengers only maybe 2-5” away TOPS.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll double check it for you, I don't have a way to check/measure it

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Thanks man!! I’ll get that for $16 on amazon not sure what use it’ll do because different distances I’d assume would alter the readings but I guess close directly from vent can get a reading. Maybe could bring it to dealership and test another truck see what’s coming out of there’s to compare. One of those one time use things I guess lol

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
So I got my anemometer in and below are my readings.

From my test is seems like the passenger side in general is STRONGER than the drivers side (maybe because blower fan is right near passenger footwell).

But yet the little window defrost vents are noticeably weaker on passenger side vs drivers side.

Starting to think the heat is more noticeable to the hand than cold that’s why I can tell the difference in distance.

Little window defrost vents:

On highest cold setting driver/passenger was: 20/20mph

On highest hot setting driver/passenger: 13/8.5

With cabin circulation on highest hot setting driver/passenger: 15/8.5

With cabin circulation on highest cold setting driver/passenger: 32.5/32.5

The main driver/passenger window big vents were as follows on the highest setting:

Max AC with recirculating: 26/40

AC no recirculating: 18/33

Hot with recirculating: 8/22

Hot no recirculating: 8/22

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Also recorded the high pitch screech from the blower and the noise my defrost vent makes but not sure how to post audio clip or video here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank