Head unit pricing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5.7HemiSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Sport Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Went to the local shop - guys had a special with a $750 Kenwood In dash & $500 Nav add on unit for $600 Total. Then he tells me with Sat hookup, Steering controls, and Install its 1349+tax. :flipthebird: He said it's the UConnect that makes the harnesses and labor so much. Are you all experiencing similar scenarios?

I have the 9 speaker Alpine set up, no NAV.

EJM05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
440 Big Block
Huh. Seems a little high. But I have all the goodies. Lol. You should be able to switch everything out yourself.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
uconnect shouldn't have anything to do with it since he would be instant all aftermarket stuff

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would never let a shop install a headunit, they're going to take you for everything they can...

OP
OP
5.7HemiSport

5.7HemiSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well he said there was a main harness he needed that I think was $250? Then there was a steering wheel control harness AND a new Sat Radio Receiver. THEN he was talking about soldering in the main harness? Isn't that why we buy a harness - so it's plug-n-play? I could do it all myself If I know its all plug-n-play. I am not trying to go soldering in my new unit.

Also he was talking about sometimes with the Ford Sync and Dodge UConnect that if it's not done right there can be electronics all over the car that stop working right - and they guarantee their work. I guess now I am worried if I do it, and F' it up I could do more than mess up radio/bluetooth?

HKkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You buy a harness that will plug into the factory harness...then the harness you bought you have to wire up to the harness from the new headunit. Its usually pretty straight forward as most of the time the wires are colored the same. Yes in theory you could solder it all together and make it all nice and tidy. As far as the steering wheel controls, I know with after market units you do need a new harness to make them work, but it should in theory be the same as doing the headunit.

B-RadsBadRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I was going to go aftermarket but went with MYGIG instead. I dont have the nicer system so it works for me. You can get the harness off Crutchfield is like $75 if u buy a head unit from them, then its another $75 for the steering controls harness. Again, you should solder all connections to avoid getting static and stuff from connections when they move, with the harnesses I dont think there is any cutting into your factory wiring at all, and it is all pretty straightforward. Plus if you do get stuff from Crutchfield they have free customer service for the life of the parts you purchase from them, they can answer any questions you've got.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
IMHO, wait two weeks, see whats new...

OP
OP
5.7HemiSport

5.7HemiSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Looked at Crutchfield for a JVC NT50 or something like that its 1100 with everything I need - Then I gotta install it myself or pay the MAN.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
With the right PacAudio harnesses ($100 - $120 direct, about 75% of that online) and an aftermarket satellite antenna ($40) you could do this yourself.

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Ummmm.
Capture-3.png

Big Boi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I want a new head unit. I don't need Nav sence i know where i am going lol. Ijust want a touch screan and my steering wheel controls to work. Anyone point me in the right direction??

Were in the same boat!

Im a Pioneer man myself. This is what Im looking forward to.
Capture-4.png